• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Coolant for Peninsular

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Coolant for Peninsular

Post by jcollins »

I think someone posted what is recommended before the board lost all of it's messages.
Mariner was that you?
What type/brand of coolant do you use?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

It wasn't me. The coolant in my engine is whatever came with it.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Thanks for your reply. I ended up buying the new Prestone that's for ALL engines. (green or yellow) I just needed to top it off.

Thanks!
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I just checked the Peninsular manual and they recommend an Ethylene-Glycol based antifreeze such as Prestone II or Nalcool 2000. It should also say on the top of the heat exchanger what is in there now and recommended. Denis
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Denis,
Thanks for taking the time to look that up. I'll check the heat exchanger.
John
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

coolant replenishment

Post by AlMar »

Is it recommended anywhere to replace coolant, or just keep it topped off. The guy I bought the boat from said he replaced it annualy, but I don't ever do that with my car.
AlMar
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

As an engine gets older, it becomes more important to replace the coolant regularly. Personally, I don't replace the coolant in car or boat engines until something makes it necessary (like a bad water pump, or rust in the coolant). One vehicle I owned had it's coolant changed just ones in five years....when I ran into the side of a Suburban and destroyed the front end. Obviously a new radiator was in order, so the coolant was replaced at that time.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

I agree with Mariner. I've never replaced coolant in my car.
I guess there is something in the manual for your engine about flush/replace. Maybe every 5 years or so? 500 hours?
John
Parker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Parker »

Do any of you find yourself topping off your coolant more than once a season? I must have a leak in my system but neither my mechanic nor I can find one.

A mechanic that Albin referred me to told me that the Beast is aptly named. He said the engine should be reliable and run strong if maintained but to expect it to be relatively loud, dirty, and have some quirks. I haven't spent enough time with this boat yet to develop a feel for its idiosyncrasies.
1994 28 TE
Peninsular 300 TD Beast
soft top
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Parker,
I've topped off once this season so far. I have the same engine you do. Loud? I don't know. I don't have anything to compare it to since this is my first diesel. Dirty? Do you mean dirt or smokey? Like you, the previous owner of my boat was very meticulous about everthing but detailing the hull. The interior is perfect (redone by his wife) and the engine is spotless. Most of the comments about the Peninsular were good. I'm hopeing that parts replacement, when needed, won't be bad since it's a GM.
John
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Ya'll better replace the coolant in your engine periodically. Cummins recommendation is every 2 years, and to check the additives every year.

I had care of an Albin 49 that was 6 years old, and when we finally (almost) had it sold, the engine survey showed excessive blow-by caused by a leaking oil cooler caused by never having the coolant changed. Albin learned a $4,000 lesson.

I've heard Yanmars are really fussy about this, because of the use of aluminum heat exchangers.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Tom,
Thanks for the tip! Your experience is good enough for me and it's not an expensive item.
John

Return to “General Discussion”