• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bad geometry of steering cable mount, failed clamp

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Bad geometry of steering cable mount, failed clamp

Post by tribologist »

I took the board under the starboard bed out to try to run a cable for a transim mounted sonar and found a cracked steering cable clamp. To me it looks like the mount is to long causing the angle to be larger than the 45 deg its designed for.

Is this the original bracket/clamp? Looks like nylon. Not a good choice if you like stuff to last 50 years +

Im going to cut 1-3/8 from the ball bracket and make a new clamp out of some Ultem plastic. Ultem is good for 1000 years.... i happened to have a ball nose endmill that was a tad to big so i hand ground that to fit the ball pocket. Its good to have a machine shop in the gararge when dealing with vintage stuff..
E9AC4D0A-AF7A-4A10-AD3B-2F6EC95A3AA3.jpeg
B94358D8-FB11-4773-A99A-FA069BDED879.jpeg
D3B8B0B3-39BD-4E23-B5A5-059094CE4FAD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by tribologist on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Bad geometry of steering cable mount, failed clamp

Post by dkirsop »

Yep, that's the original and it is a known failure point although after 40 plus years "failure" sounds a little harsh. I replaced mine with an off the shelf metal clamp that replaces the plastic but it sounds like you have a fix well in hand.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Getting there. Mill is an ABENE VHF made in Stockholm around 1940 ies. SN 481, Bought it in Rhode Island 7 years ago.

The white thing behind it was made in Sweden -67 (like me...) recognizing it? That was our last restauration project.

Ulf
584501A9-6F34-4797-BF5E-896E4D914100.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

New clamp installed. Should outlast the boat...

Geometry is much better now. I shortened the bracket 1-1/8 only since the thread was so sloppy. It seems sufficient since it is not binding at end of stroke now. A metal clamp would have saved some time but no one had them in stock around here and they were silly expensive. Saved enough to pay for an extension cable for the sonar..... the reason to open up there was to try to route the sonar cable so i would not need an extension but it was not looking good. Another find is that the swim platform has screws going into the ducts...

Ulf
DE420D3E-7F1A-40CF-8C60-EA499A9176FF.jpeg
91843316-4259-4A41-B3DA-2C8832D971D5.jpeg
6B428D8C-ADBC-4E8E-8FF7-FF20DFC10ED2.jpeg
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Looking good. You have probably already done so, but if not, check the lock to lock on the wheel. My rudder was so poorly adjusted the boat only turned one way, well not quite. PO said it was because of the single prop, but even he noticed it was odd. Being new to boats, what did I know? He never had the thing out of the water so didn't really get a good look at the rudder limits from behind. One of my sons noticed it one day (boat was on the trailer) while I was fooling around inside. No brainer.

PS, you really shouldn't tell us ALL the projects you are fixing and the tools you have. We may pester the heck out of you!
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

You get a lot of friends if you have a machine shop and a TIG welder.. Not unusual to get a phone call from a friend of a friend at 10:30pm+ neading help fixing a plow in a middle of a snow storm. After that the driveway cleans it self for a while...

I would be happy trading some machining for a 7x6-1/2x3/8 piece of mahogny to put behind my switch panel. I hate woodworking!!!

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”