• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 25 vs 27FC

Albin's "power cruisers"
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Albin 25 vs 27FC

Post by Beta Don »

DesertAlbin736 wrote:Our friends who brought their diesel powered O'Day 25 sailboat up from Flagstaff to cruise with us . . . .
I'm curious. 99% sure O'Day never sold any 25 with an inboard diesel - The only inboard option from the factory was a Sail Drive gas unit . . . . at least I think - Could be they did offer a diesel later on??

I installed a brand new single cylinder Yanmar 1GM10 in an O'Day 25 about 30 years ago - It also had a flushing marine head that no 25 came with as well. Last I knew of that boat it was owned by a lady who club raced it in the Florida panhandle. Could your friends boat possibly be the same one?? What would be the odds on that!?

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I'm curious. 99% sure O'Day never sold any 25 with an inboard diesel - The only inboard option from the factory was a Sail Drive gas unit . . . . at least I think - Could be they did offer a diesel later on??
I think it was an aftermarket conversion, Sail Drive lower unit mated to a raw water cooled Yanmar 2GM20. The boat is a 1978 model. No flushing marine head, just a porta potty. His has a folding two blade prop. It actually does quite well motoring, although he can't quite keep up with us at or 6.5 knot speed. Under sail on a beam reach in a stiff breeze we can barely keep up with him. There's actually another one in our club with the same setup that originally came from Rhode Island. Yes, O'Day 25s with inboard diesel are quite rare.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Hobbit
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pleasant Harbor, WA USA

Post by Hobbit »

Thank you to everyone that commented. The pro's and cautions were much appreciated.

We did end up purchasing a 27FC out of MN. I continue to read everyone's posts relative to the 27FC and the Nissan LD28 Diesel. The references are invaluable.

I recently forwarded a Nissan LD28 service manual to Admin for posting in documents.

I would appreciate hearing what oil filter Nissan owners are using. The LD28 is challenging to get information on. I think I have identified the correct one but would like to confirm.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”