• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 exhaust system

Albin's "power cruisers"
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: A25 exhaust system

Post by Beta Don »

On my last sailboat, I ran a small piece of tubing from the vent on that anti-siphon, vented loop into the side of a cockpit drain near the helm - I drilled hole in the drain fitting below the deck and stuck the vent tubing into the side of the drain. Whenever the engine was running, the small amount of water coming out of the vented loop trickled down that drain - I could see it and hear it, and it was always reassuring to know the engine was spitting out cooling water

IMO, a vented loop in the raw water line mounted somewhere well above the waterline as described above is a must in cases there the water injection into the exhaust is near the waterline or below - It's the only foolproof way to do it that I know of

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Hi
Just found this you tube from Ventus . It's the installation of a new engine...... Make it look so easy but the basic components are interesting to see new
https://youtu.be/_yfrL6tiUiY
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Hi BCboater,

Your post on exhaust loops was way back in August, but I haven't been paying much attention to this thread until Warren's (sail149) post on 14 November. Our A25 has a Yanmar engine with a cast iron exhaust elbow as shown in this photo. The cockpit decking is pretty close to where the waterline is, and the top of the Yanmar heat exchanger is within a couple inches of the top of the engine box. This particular installation has been in service since the Yanmar was installed in 1992 with no trouble, so I think it's OK. Interestingly our boat has the exact same Vernalift muffler as shown in your pictures.
Aqua Drive.jpg
Speaking of Pender Island, we were there for a stop at Port Browning & Poet's Cove on July 28th & 29th on our way back down-island from Nanaimo bound for the San Juans after spending all of July in BC, including a run over to Pender Harbour & Chatterbox Falls. One of the best times we had was being in Sidney on July 1st for the Canada Day celebrations. We love that area & hope to return again someday. Probably not this coming year, although that could change, but definitely in 2018.

Here's a view from our helm upon entering Pender Canal on the the way from Port Browning on North Pender to Bedwell Harbor on South Pender. That was our last stop in the Gulf Islands before returning to Friday Harbor to clear customs back into the U.S.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”