• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Towing a Dinghy

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Towing a Dinghy

Post by Halcyon »

Have you considered Weaver Davits ? I have had great luck with them. Well built and stainless.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Halycyon: Agree. Installed them on Nibbles in 2011 and they have worked well and are reasonably priced.
whwells "Howard"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

In my world $392.99 for a set of buckles, hinges and screws couldn't compete with a DIY effort for under $10. So long as I can keep it from sliding off, that is! :) I had checked out the Weaver davits based on suggestions on another board and got the idea from that.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

Aha! Went over to the Trawler Forum and found my pics of the "hinges." Critique/improvements welcome.
HingePieces.jpg
HingesPosition.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
mjk
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eastport ME

Post by mjk »

Ron, I sure loved that story.

MJK
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

Somewhere (Sea Worthy? Soundings?) we read about a trawler sinking because the tow line of the dinghy got tangled on the prop and caused other damage. So, we don't tow ours. We merely use crossed lines to hold our dinghy on KP Duty's swim platform. Here's the best picture we have of it. The pic was taken on the day KP Duty's exhaust manifold/elbows whatever failed and we had to abort our trip and return home, which is why I am mugging it up and blocking the view of the dinghy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: EDENTON, NC

Post by halfmoon »

Dinghy towing can become a serious distraction in storm or high traffic conditions even at trawler speed. Attention required at planing speed is like that needed when pulling a water skier. Stowing on the swim platform is my preferred solution. However, my AB Aria RIB is 10'2" long and swim platform is only 8'6"(28TE). Problem? Yes! Wake or waves striking overhanging RIB tubes pitched large amounts of water into the cockpit. Turned it bottom up and hauled it in the cockpit. Now have RIB (and 15hp Honda) for sale on craigslist. Need 8'6" RIB to safely transport on platform.

Return to “General Discussion”