• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Replacement Cutless Bearing for Albin 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: Replacement Cutlass Bearing for Albin 25

Post by kerrye »

How much are the replacement cutlass bearing? If it worth buying one to have on hand and avoid a shipping delay if a person owns an A25?
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I checked. About $145 plus shipping I think.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

So what does a "newer" stock Albin 25 setup look like? It appears (because Albinmotors offers them) that there were 25mm shafts, for the older AD21s and 30mm shafts for the three cylinder Volvo Pentas. The Super Duper Mondo Deluxe models. What else is out there?
I agree with your assessment about the spun bearing. Nothing substantial appears to have been preventing it from rotating.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Quick update:

Finally splashed the boat yesterday, tide was good for my ramp and it is going to be a lovely week on the canal. The reworked engine mounts and morphodite replacement inner shaft bearing work like a champ. Almost all of the shaft rumble/harmonic noises are gone. You can actually carry on a conversation in the cabin without competing with the drum solo from Innagaddadavida, Baby!
The engine, as one would expect, moves around on its mounts and the cush prop shaft protector coupling adds to or dampens that effect, I can't tell which. But the shaft movement at the PSS is almost nil. I can see where a solid mounting would be good, but don't know about noise transfer to the hull. This is a VAST improvement over the modified throughhull fitting that was used for the inner bearing. That and new engine mounts.

Still need new propeller. Which will likely require a new shaft. All for the sake of getting a matched SAE installment. Kind of stupid, but I do not need a $500 coffee table centerpiece if I miss something in my Metric Prop Order from the UK. It is funky enough (not exactly 1:10 taper) that I do not want to risk it. I also re-installed the original cutlass bearing near the propeller as it wasn't all that loose. That will get replaced when i get the new shaft if the prop lasts the season.

This whole project could probably go in "My best upgrade under $100". Only new stuff is two rubber mounts, $25 each and the rubber Beneteau cutlass, around $35. And a little leftover epoxy. Nice! (Don't count my labor and agony, priceless.)
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Replacement Cutless Bearing for Albin 25

Post by WillieC »

John, obviously you got the cutlass issue sorted. What did you end up doing? I can see why your bearing slid out of the rubber bushing. The stock piece has a metal ferrule that is pressed onto the cutlass.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Replacement Cutless Bearing for Albin 25

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Thanks Desertboater. My A25 is also a 1971 model, the '736' on my screen name refers to the hull number, & my boat also has the sail rig which I've never attempted to set up. My boat was repowered with a Yanmar years ago, so I don't know if the shaft is the original metric or an SAE replacement. So far the cutlass bearing seems OK, no noticeable play at the prop. But I've bookmarked your link to Albinmotor for future reference just in case, so thanks.

Here's what my prop looks like. You can do a click-zoom & see a little of the cutlass bearing, which I assume is original but who knows.
DSCN3631.JPG
This is the brass nameplate
DSCN3677.JPG
By chance did you or a previous owner ever have your boat stored down in metro Phoenix? Reason I ask is that back in 2012 when I was first looking at another Albin that I didn't end up buying there was a second Albin in the same storage yard in the Coyote Pass RV storage yard in El Mirage. Just wondering if it could have been your boat?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”