• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Installing a Windlass - From Scratch

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

thomaslong
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Orleans

Re: Installing a Windlass - From Scratch

Post by thomaslong »

I am planning to install a windlass on my 1996 Albin 28TE, and the concept of wiring through the bow thruster is very attractive. That will avoid both the expense and weight of running heavy cable down the wiring channel to the helm. Any other issues to look out for?

I don't plan to install foot switches, because my experience is they are prone to corrosion and accidental engagement. By the way, I will use the Lewmar 700 Pro, not the Pro Fisherman, because I don't want the freefall option. Lake Pontchartrain is only 14 feet deep, and Mississippi Sound is only 9-12 feet. Freefall is wasted around here and potentially dangerous.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

thomaslong wrote:I am planning to install a windlass on my 1996 Albin 28TE, and the concept of wiring through the bow thruster is very attractive. That will avoid both the expense and weight of running heavy cable down the wiring channel to the helm. Any other issues to look out for?

I don't plan to install foot switches, because my experience is they are prone to corrosion and accidental engagement. By the way, I will use the Lewmar 700 Pro, not the Pro Fisherman, because I don't want the freefall option. Lake Pontchartrain is only 14 feet deep, and Mississippi Sound is only 9-12 feet. Freefall is wasted around here and potentially dangerous.

I don't know about going through the bowthruster. It just sound as if it meets ABYC standards. Let safety and future resale be your guide. Running the wire really isn't all that big of a deal and it won't cost that much more.

My advice is to wire it on it's own and follow this thread with it's two very good installs pictures and all. If you need some help accomplishing this or need a sounding board this is the place to come. :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

I too had thought seriously about tying into the bow thruster, but decided not to. My primary reason being that I like things independent, so if I loose my thruster (electronically) I haven't lost my anchor.....which may be needed in a hurry, depending on the circumstances. Or vice-versa...loose my anchor and loose my thruster. It was not an easy job, but following the instructions, using the right gage wire, some patience, some tenacity, a little creativity when needed, and some cold beer at the end of each job day....it was worth it. You WILL NOT be sorry going with the Lewmar Pro 700! Good Luck.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

thomaslong wrote: I don't plan to install foot switches, because my experience is they are prone to corrosion and accidental engagement.
thomaslong wrote: Freefall is potentially dangerous.
Those issues would be directly related to faulty or inadequate installation and/or user error.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

I'd be surprised if the boat wasn't already pre-wired, which was standard on Albin 28 TEs. There is a channel along the starboard side which can be seen in the anchor rode locker. If the wiring is no longer there, you can still snake the wires through.
I've thought about installing one for a few years but I like the bollard that would have to be removed. This might sound silly but I also wondered if drilling a big enough hole through the 4 inches of fiber glass would weaken the bowsprit. I guess not since so many Albins have them.
The comments should be helpful.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”