• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

6LPSTE on ALbin 28 was running a little hot.

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: 6LPSTE on ALbin 28 was running a little hot.

Post by jleonard »

You can also rig a spare bilge pump and a 5 gallon bucket to recirculate the vinegar or ridlyme thru the system. You'll have to disconnect the intake hose and the one going to the exhaust elbow. Use one for inlet from the pump and one for outlet back into the bucket.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote:You can also rig a spare bilge pump and a 5 gallon bucket to recirculate the vinegar or ridlyme thru the system. You'll have to disconnect the intake hose and the one going to the exhaust elbow. Use one for inlet from the pump and one for outlet back into the bucket.
Yup. I did something similar as I wanted it flushing through the raw water loop, rather than just sitting
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2054&hilit=rydlyme
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Capt Paul wrote:John,

Let us know how it works out for you.

Paul
I should note that I have the Peninsular engine not the Yanmar

I have a Thorough-Flush fitting on the top of my strainer. That made the job easy.
1.) Connect hose from fresh water supply and close raw water side. Let it run with fresh water for about 30 minutes. Temp at idle was 180.
2.) Using the same hose and bucket that I use for winterizing, I ran the one gallon of Salt-Away into the system and let it sit overnight.
3.) Same method as above but this day sucked in 4 gallons of Vinegar. Let sit overnight.
4.) Open raw water side and let it idle. It looked very "soapy" around my boat for about 15 minutes. Total idle time was about 30 minutes.
5.) Let it idle yesterday up to temp. Noticed it to be about 175.
6.) Out for a cruise to nowhere for about 3 hours. I took copius notes but left them at the boat! Here are the results best I can remember.
Half tank of fuel, full water, one person, one dog. Moderate amount of "stuff".

Slow cruise - 8 knots (1700 RPM) - Temp: 160 (was 175)
Cruise - 15 knots (2700 RPM) - Temp: 175 (was 180)
Fast cruise - 17-18 knots (2900-3000 RPM) Temp 180 (was 185)
WOT - 22 knots (3500 RPM) Temp 201 (was 205)
Re-run WOT 2 hours later and reached 24 knots. Attribute increase in speed, to what it should be, to tide and scummy bottom, cleaner than first try. (boat had been sitting for 3 weeks)
I broke my own rule about using the boat at least once per week. I could feel a difference after the bottom was cleaner. The result is obvious but it's also obvious that there is something else that needs attention. Bottom line; does it work? Yes.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Capt Paul: Where did you find the flush kit. I am north of you in Trinidad but will be happy to follow up on a set of these? The boat has Yanmar 315's. Are we talking the same unit?
whwells "Howard"
2006 35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
"Nibbles"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Hello Howard,

It's a GROCO SSC Series Engine Flush Kit, I ordered mine online after searching for the best price. You will need to decide the best place to install this and match it up to the hose/pipe size you have on your boat for that location. They come is a few sizes. My was 2 inch size.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Capt Paul: Thank you for the response. What was your costs for this flush unit. I would like to flush the salt water exchange system after each major operation. Have always done that with the Luhrs and it gives you lots of extended life for the salt/water fresh water entire exchange system. That one we did a home made thing on but would like to do a prof. job on the new boat.

Will see what we can find. Great job. Would like to see your boat sometime when in the Bay Area. I think that is where you are located at least. Yes, I see the wonderful city of SF. We love fisherman's wharf when in the City. Also McCormicks formerly Spanglers in Berkeley. Pat my wife, in the long ago years worked for the Oakland Tribune and I worked for an Ins. Company Farm Bureau then home officed in Berkeley. We are tallking a lifetime ago. My company later relocated to Sacramento so we moved north and retired to Trinidad well after another lifetime of self employment in Yuba City, Ca.
We lived in Pleasanton when it was a small town.
Howard
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Capt Paul: Another question. Can this until be left hooked up in some way to make regular flushing reasonably easy?
Howard
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

The flush unit that Capt. Paul used looks really professional and does the job well for him i am told. Was expecting to do the same thing on my boat with the twin 315 Yanmar's. The hose from the Seacock to the Strainer seems to vary. Paul tells me his is 2" with the 300hp Yanmar. Spoke with Groco rep. today and he tells me the usual sizes are 2" upwards to 4". They have 2" and 2 1/2. Wouldn't you know it Albin found and used an odd ball size of 2 1/4 on Nibbles. Still want to go forward with the flush unit. Did a home made job on the old Luhrs and it has been a real money saver in keeping the salt water exchange system working without a bunch of money. It also turns out the strainers are Perko and they don't do a flush unit for the larger strainer as was used on my boat.
Has anyone installed a flush system on the Yanmar 315' and if so what size were the intake hoses?
Any suggestions will ge very much appreciated. IS NIBBLES THE ONLY YANMAR 315 WITH 2 1/4 INTAKE HOSES FROM THE SEA COCK TO THE STRAINER?
whwells "Howard'
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

When winterizing the 6LPSTP I keep the thru hull valve open, but use a rubber ball within a plastic bag as a stopper directly within the raw water strainer. The bag is a safety device that allows me to remove the ball just in case it gets stuck in the strainer inflow port.
Without this and with the seacock closed, antifreeze runs into to hose as far as the valve and that is wasted. The ball keeps whatever liquid you add to the strainer from entering the hose and it is easy to add fluid to the running engine. With my flush deck model, I can reach the engine shut off button as needed while adding antifreeze.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Fairtide, I assume this is your in-water method?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

Easy way to run antifreeze thru when winterizing as well.
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Post by Old School »

Quick question is 90*C too hot? That's my normal operating temp.
Also I heard there was a problem with 6LP-STE temp guages.
Just your thoughts...
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Yes 195degF is too hot, alarm will not sound til 210 but you should be running 175ish? I am not aware of any problems with the temp gauges, it's the tachs that are inaccurate. When I replaced my Yanmar gauges with Aetna & VDO the temp and oil pressure were consistent between the old & new.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”