• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Carolinas Rendezvous?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Drew
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dataw Island, SC

Re: Carolinas Rendezvous?

Post by Drew »

We leave the Nov 3rd for Southport and planning to make our first stop in Georgetown. Looks like Hazzard Marina certainly gets a vote...I have a friend that is recommending Harborwalk. We will check them both out while we are there and give a vote. This will be our first time in Southport by boat....looks like the city marina is right down town. Any experiences in Southport?
Mulligan Too
2004 Albin 28 TE
Dataw Island, SC
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

We visited South port on our Labor day cruise. It is a charming small town. The marina was nice although we only tied up for long enough to walk downtown and eat. Georgetown in a much larger city with more restaurants and things to see and do. Georgetown landing Marina is the only Marina there I have been to. It has a Huge Face dock on a little used portion of Winyah Bay. There is a hotel at the Marina, it is about a 20min walk from downtown or a $5.00 taxi ride.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Drew
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Drew »

We just left Georgetown on our trip north to Southport. Charming downtown area within easy walking distance from either Hazzard Marina or Harborwalk Marina, which is where we stayed. Harborwalk just finished a $2M renovation...new floating docks, cable, wi-fi, new restrooms/showers, laundry and office. Small yard in front of the office with a picnic table. Lots to see and explore downtown. Only drawback is if the wind is in the wrong distance you know the paper mill is close by. We would still stop and spend more time.
Mulligan Too
2004 Albin 28 TE
Dataw Island, SC
Drew
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Drew »

...getting back to a potential get-together....Harbor Walk Marina has recently redone their docks and facilities are good. They have a nice area in front of the office for a picnic and would welcome our visit. Looks like either Hazzard or Harbor Walk would be good options. Any interest in Southport. That was our orginal destination in November which got cut short because of a limestone ledge we visited in Myrtle Beach. We still want to make that trip. The spring schedule is starting to fill up. We are planning a trip south to St. Augustine in late March. Keep us advised.
Mulligan Too
2004 Albin 28 TE
Dataw Island, SC
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Gunny »

Like Hazzard myself but either is a good location. Keep me informed as I would like to go.
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

SC would be too far time-wise for us via boat, given that I have to work in order to support my boating habit, but we could easily get there by car. Southport is probably more do-able by sea for us. I'm not sure what is available there, though. What month would be best?
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
Drew
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Drew »

We were planning to stay at the downtown marina in Southport. We have friends that stayed there with a good report. Not sure where everyone might be coming from....maybe we take a poll...Georgetown or Southport? How about sometime in June?
Mulligan Too
2004 Albin 28 TE
Dataw Island, SC
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

June sounds great. Yes, let's take a poll about Georgetown vs. Southport. From what I've read on this post, Georgetown seems to have more to offer, plus most of the replies so far have been from SC. OK, NC Albiners, this will be your chance to speak up :D . I will post something on the Meet and Greet section.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
Clay Helm
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Clay Helm »

I have been "off line " for a couple of months and have missed the previous notes. I could make Southport in four days. Georgetown would be a bit too far. May, June, July would work for me.

Clay Helm
Puppy Dog
Albin 27 FC
Albermarle Sound, NC
jimlewis
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Little River, SC

Post by jimlewis »

My boat is located between Southport and Georgetown so either would be good for me.

Jim Lewis
Six Grand
27 Albin Sport Express
Little River, SC
skye peak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skye peak »

Georgetown is a good choice for me as I'm in Beaufort SC, a two day run.
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Gunny »

I am still for Georgetown and it is close enough for a day trip to McClellansville. World famous crab dip!!!
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

I am in favor of Georgetown. and I can Help coridnate as I am down that way on a fairly regular basis. It is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from my home. Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Clay Helm
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Clay Helm »

One of the good reasons for going to Southport is we will be a short trip up the historic Cape Fear river to Wilmington, NC. There is a nice public dock where you can stay for the day and be right in the downtown historic district. Along the way is Bald Head Island where golf carts can be rented to tour the island. Southport itself may not be a large entertainment district, they do have good food, but they are in the center of some of the best beaches, golf courses, entertainment areas in the South and most can be reached by a fast dingy ride.

Clay Helm
Puppy Dog
Albin 27 FC
Albermarle Sound

Return to “General Discussion”