• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Chief's Winterization List - 2017

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Chief's Winterization List - 2016

Post by DougSea »

Tree wrote:I take my hat off to your guys over there - it would drive me mad having a short boating season followed by all the wrapping up etc for winter!
But we get the fun of Spring commissioning! It's like the seasons - how can you truly enjoy Spring and Summer without Autumn and Winter! (That's what I'm telling myself right now... :wink: )
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

It's also why our boats up here in the Northeast are usually the most desired - they get the continued attention that goes with decommissioning, re-commisioning and offseason maintenance and upgrades and the hours on the clock don't get added all year long.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Two very good points Doug and Rob. The excitement of spring is building and PITOU is feeling the love right now! A few improvement projects are underway. Not too cold either .. gotta love this global warming :roll: Savvy buyers always try to cherry pick the Northeast :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Offseason Maintenance

Post by RobS »

It certainly wouldn't be as much "fun" if my workbench looked like this mid-season!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Offseason Maintenance

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:It certainly wouldn't be as much "fun" if my workbench looked like this mid-season!
Fine job. Those impellers were calling your name!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Here we go hijacking another thread - sorry John! (and Chief)

Kevin I guess you're referring to the "set" the impellers are showing. These SMX pumps are massive and super easy to do an impeller swap (can do an impeller swap in 15 minutes) but yes the impellers take a set like none I've seen before, must have to do with the rubber compound. Those impellers you see on my bench in the prior post are two season old and are in good shape but will not go back in. I took them out last year for the offseason and this is how they still looked a few months later when I put them back in, they never relaxed back to normal but does it really matter? it just gets smooshed back into the pump anyway...Look at the size compared to the impeller from the Johnson pump in my 6LP Yanmar, not that I ever had a cooling water issue with the Yanmar..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

I guess we did hijack Chief's thread, but just bringing awareness to other aspects of layup decommissioning that follow "Winterization" for those of us in the northeast. This is a really good time to get scheduled maintenance squared away and not having to be squeezed in the spring or having an issue mid season.

That Yanmar impeller is significantly smaller than the 6B Sherwood 17000 impeller that I used on my 28 with the 370. It looks like you have the Cummins (Sherwood) pump on the bench for your 6B's or have you switched to SeaMax pumps? If you have the Sherwood I didn't realize that you could use the SMX impellers. I have my impeller out for routine replacement and if that's the case I'll order an SMX 26 for my QSC. Flow rate on my QSC pump is 75 GPM at 2600 RPM .. lots of seawater being pumped!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

True, this is not really a hijack..

SeaMax pumps by prior owner. He did them back in 2006, so they had 10 seasons on them. 4 sets of impellers. Never a drip or a hiccup. I sent them to Tony so they can go through them and make them "as new" again..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”