• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Calorifier pressure relief valve

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Calorifier pressure relief valve

Post by Tree »

Morning All,

We went out on the maiden fishing trip this weekend in our 28TE and noticed we were getting a drop of water in the bilges. On inspection, I noticed that the pressure relief valve on the calorifier had a leak on it but only when the water was hot. Now i can get around the problem, and it may go away now the boat is being used again - but should it need changing, could anyone let me know what pressure it works at and possibly the thread size so I can source a replacement?

I am guessing it's just the seals have got dry where the boat has been standing for a year, certainly as the water cooled the water pump stopped coming on so frequently so it may possibly rectify itself (we originally had leaks on the hot water compression fittings which have now resolved themselves)

Oh and any tips on removal and replacement would be good as it looks like a right PITA to get in to and replace being 6'4"!

Cheers

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Calorifier pressure relief valve

Post by RobS »

Is it the Seaward F-700 that was standard in your era 28TE? See attached datasheet, it calls for a 150psi valve. The Seaward part number is 73127 but you can source a comparable replacement at a local plumbing supply. I believe it's 1/2"NPT but not positive. As far as access it's a piece of cake with the floor hatch, but PITA without the hatch. If you are just doing the t/p valve then it's easily accessible with/without the hatch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Many thanks Rob, I shall pass that over to a chap that owns a Yacht maintenance company that owes me a few quid - right where I need to stand are where my batteries are located - he owes me money, he can do any struggling :mrgreen:
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

A few years ago I noticed mine leaking a bit on commissioning. I manually tripped it and it reseated itself perfectly. Could have been a piece of debris was on the seat.
Don
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Don,

I am just on the way down to the boat to give that a go, like I say it has been sat for over a year prior to our purchase so it could be something like that.

cheers

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Bringing this one back to life....

Anyone know why they specify 150psi? seems pretty high considering all the push fittings on the tank - I am having a bit of an issue sourcing one in the UK with that rating so I was considering fitting a 75psi one?

It just so happens that Whale Products in Northern Ireland have bought Seaward and can get the parts, but not for 10 weeks and FedExing it over isn't cost efficent (about $60 in total).

I could do with getting this sorted out quite soon as we managed to dump the entire freshwater tank in the bilge yesterday!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I see no issue with using a 75 PSI valve, in fact I think it's a better choice for your application.

Is there also a temperature rating?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I agree with Doug. I'd be surprised if it the temp rating on PRV you found is anything other than 210degF

BTW, the temp rating on the tank decal says 170degF max, seems odd when these engine run 175+
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Sounds good to me - I'll pick up a 75psi one on monday from the local plumbers merchants and fit that!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”