• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

6LPSTE on ALbin 28 was running a little hot.

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

6LPSTE on ALbin 28 was running a little hot.

Post by Capt Paul »

I noticed over the last couple of outings that the CW temperature on my 6LPSTE was running about 5-6 degrees hotter then normal at cruise. Took it up to WOT once and it got real hot fast. It was time for a haul out for bottom paint, so I decided to have them install the GROCO engine flush adapter (saw it in this forum in another post and really liked the setup and ease of use.)

Here is picture of the setup:
raw water flush kit (Small).bmp
I got the boat back on Friday, used the flush kit on Saturday. I ran a hose from the adapter to a 5 gallon bucket. I first did a fresh water flush with Salt away; I hadn't had the heat exchangers serviced in about 3 years or so. I then decided to flush it with Vinegar and let it sit over night. First thing Sunday morning I took the boat out and brought it up to cruising speed, 2800-2900 RPM about 13 knots or so. Temperature was back down to normal (about 78 C or 172F). I took it up to WOT and it behaved itself. Just a tad over 80 C (176F). So all in all about a 10 degree F improvement and all seems to be working normal. If this had not worked I would have checked the thermostat next.

Very glad I have this installed on my boat.
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by Capt Paul on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: 6LPSTE on ALbin 28 wa running a little hot.

Post by RobS »

Paul,
Great post. Glad you cleared it up. When I used Rydlyme back in 2008 it kept my WOT temp to stay at 80 also without creeping up. My normal temp is same as yours, high 70's.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Halcyon2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: North, Va

Re: 6LPSTE on ALbin 28 was running a little hot.

Post by Halcyon2 »

Thanks for the post. I'm not too mechanical so please bear with me on this on but can't we also just put a hose into the raw water strainer and let it run (on my lift) for a few minutes? Also, since we are talking about flushing, how often do others flush with fresh water? Thanks.
Ron and Debbie Lambert
Halcyon 2
North, VA
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Ron,

I tried opening the raw water strainer and putting a hose in it. The way the strainer is set up you will not get the suction you need to draw the water into the engine without spilling allot into your bilge.

I have seen some one add a hose bib to the top cover of the strainer and I hear that works fairly well. I did not want to mess with that and decided on the GROCO part.

Paul
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Paul,
Curious - how hot was "real hot"? Normal range is actually considered 180/185F (although about 175F is more common) and then alarm will go off at 205/210F. Did alarm go off?

I was out on Saturday running in a flotilla led by the USCG with 8 people aboard and had to push it hard for awhile to keep up and the temp climbed only slightly, right at 80C (176F) so all is good..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Rob,

Real hot was above 90C @ WOT, the alarms did not go off and I backed down once I saw the engine temp at this point. I have to admit it scared me pretty good to see the temperature go up that much.

Same topic, but different question, how much steam do any of you see coming out of your exhaust while at cruising speed?

Paul

Paul
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Capt Paul wrote:
Same topic, but different question, how much steam do any of you see coming out of your exhaust while at cruising speed?
Paul
90 deg C, 194 deg F, yes she got hot but not "alarming" - pun intended :wink:

I really don't even pay attention to the steam anymore, when I first got the boat I used to watch it. If it's there it quickly dissipates. I take a lot of pictures when we use the boat so I looked at a couple dozen wake shots while cruising and only found the steam in these two shots. As long as it's steam (odorless, quickly dissipates) and not white smoke it is normal.

These shots were taken 3 seasons ago. I really can't say I remember seeing it at all more recently and 2 seasons ago I changed my mixing elbow. It is related? Or do I just no longer notice it when it is there? Don't know..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I then decided to flush it with Vinegar and let it sit over night.
I'm curious about this. How much vinegar? Straight or diluted? Seems easy enough.

Thanks,

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I used undiluted vinegar about 4 gallons to make sure it worked its way through the whole system. Suggested from some of the sailors on my doc with diesels. They say they have been using it for years and it really cleans the corrosion out of the heat exchangers. It cleans up what Salt-away will not.

Paul
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Basically, it's acidic, as is Rydlyme, but cheaper and easier to find.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Capt Paul wrote:I used undiluted vinegar about 4 gallons to make sure it worked its way through the whole system. Suggested from some of the sailors on my doc with diesels. They say they have been using it for years and it really cleans the corrosion out of the heat exchangers. It cleans up what Salt-away will not.

Paul
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try since I'm running a little hot at WOT. My heat exchanger was replaced in 2003. No service since then other than fresh water flush. (don't yell Rob :oops: )
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

John,

Let us know how it works out for you.

Paul
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

So is this as easy as winterizing? Could you just close the sea cock, open the strainer, start the engine and dump in 6 to 8gals of white vinegar, let it set for a while and then open the sea cock and start it back up? That sounds too easy to be true, but I think I will give it a shot.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Carl,

I was told to let the vinegar sit at least overnight for it to have the best effect. I'm really not sure how long it takes to do its work. One person actually told me to leave it their for a couple of days.

I do not think pouring it into the strainer is going to work very well, I tried just fresh watering flushing this way and my exhaust alarm would come on an stay on. Even using the flush kit it will come on and go off intermittently with fresh water going through it.

Paul
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

The stainers suck from the top so the key is to maintain a fast enough pour into the strainer that it keeps up with the suction flow demand of the sea water pump and the fluid level in the strainer stays up at the top. This can easily be done if you do it with a spackle bucket, but impossible trying to pour individual 1 gallon containers. The removeable strainer basket has a handle that gets in the way of pouring into the open strainer so what I do is I remove the basket and shop vac out the liguid and completely clean out the strainer. Then I leave the basket out so the handle is no longer an obstacle. Plus then you are not diluting what you are pouring with the sea water that is already sitting in the strainer. Works like a charm
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”