• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Soda Cleaning / Blasting

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Soda Cleaning / Blasting

Post by Pitou »

One recent Sunday while picking up a friend’s trailer boat after winterization from a yard I noticed a white hulled boat that appeared to have just recently had her bottom stripped. I couldn’t resist and took a walk and ran my hand over the stripped hull. The bottom had recently been Soda Cleaned/ Blasted. Wow, what a nice smooth job and no damage. 8) I tracked down the yard owner who put me in touch with the boat owner who had contracted the job himself.
Over the past couple of off season lay-ups I had contemplated stripping all bottom paint from the hull, but have never been too eager to grab the scrapers, chisels and sandpaper or pay the yard the estimated cost to strip of $ 2400 to $ 3200. When I purchased the boat, 2 seasons old, she had a couple of coats of red “hard” bottom paint and no barrier coat. I had the dealer prep the bottom by sanding the “red” to hopefully make a good mechanical bond for the ablative ”black” Interlux Micron Extra w/BioLux, a bottom paint that I’d been using with great success in my area for years. I just completed season 7 with the Albin and after about season 3 the black started coming of in big pieces leaving a very exaggerated orange peel / rough surface in many areas with the red still holding strong. The original red looked as if when those 1st 2 coats were put on they were rolled and not brushed out smooth. The prep from the dealer to me was not up to my expectations and now here I am.

Well … in just 7 days from spying the stripped boat, PITOU’s bottom was being Soda Cleaned. All told 1 ½ hours prep to tent her to capture the blasted paint and dry soda then 2 hours to blast. There was a short delay following the prep. The blaster suited up in his tyvek, booties then fired up the John Deere diesel which ran his equipment and the oil pressure gauge was reading ZERO! We all agreed better safe than sorry for his equipment and my selfishness to protect my hull / I wanted full attention on the job and not to have the blaster looking over his shoulder concerned about his equipment. With two days delay they were back with a bad ground found and gauge working and ready to begin. I took advantage of the down time and erected the shrink wrap frame. The job went smooth, I wrote a check for $750 and was ready to shrink wrap and contemplate my labor side of this deal next spring. I’ll follow-up with the recommended Interlux barrier coat process in the spring with 2 coats of the Micron Extra. I was very glad to see … no blisters or moisture seeping from the bottom, around the thru hulls or the bolts holding the swim platform to the transom. The bottom is dry! I would guess something had been done right from the time of fiberglass lay-up and through the first 9 seasons of boating.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Soda Cleaning / Blasting

Post by RobS »

Pitou wrote:... my labor side of this deal next spring. I’ll follow-up with the recommended Interlux barrier coat process in the spring with 2 coats of the Micron Extra...
Nothing like an early Christmas gift to self. Does your yard allow the boat owners to paint the bottom?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:
Pitou wrote:... my labor side of this deal next spring. I’ll follow-up with the recommended Interlux barrier coat process in the spring with 2 coats of the Micron Extra...
Nothing like an early Christmas gift to self. Does your yard allow the boat owners to paint the bottom?
Surprisingly ... yes. Tarp, contain and dispose off site are the rules. I wanted to get the soda blast done before needing to go into a clean room like most yards in our area require. :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Soda Cleaning / Blasting / barrier coat

Post by Pitou »

Sometime has past, but I wanted to update my soda clean / barrier coat project for the daring & interested. Soda cleaned Pitou last fall and let her sit over the winter to resume in the spring. I first had a surveyor buddy show up with his moisture meter … dry as a bone.

I decided to contact Interlux Tech. Support & went full in and bowed to the Interlux kool-Aid, as going through all of this work I didn’t want to miss any recommended step & have adhesion problems and be back to square one having Interlux respond by telling me I should have ….. When I bought Pitou the bottom “looked great”, but soon found the bottom paint coming off in big pieces leaving a very rough pot marked bottom. Somebody didn’t prep her correctly from the beginning.

My end of the process:

1). washed the bottom w/Fiberglass Surface Prep/Mold Release to get any soda media out of the hull that was embedded. The Surface prep sure did make a visual difference getting the white out
2). washed the bottom with soap and water & rinsed.
3). followed up sanding the entire bottom w/ 80 grit sand paper on a palm sander hooked up to a Hepa Vac.
4). washed the bottom with soap and water & rinsed.
5). Ragged any areas of imperfections w/202 Fiberglass Solvent Boat Wash
6). filled any imperfections with West Systems & micro-balloons let cure and sanded w/80 grit
7). ragged the entire bottom with 202 Fiberglass Solvent Boat Wash
8). applied 4 coats of InterProtect 2000E Barrier Coat alternating white, gray, white, gray …. 2 coats 1 day, 2 coats a few days down the road. (Interlux product update says that you can overcoat up to 6 or 7 months)
9). on the 2nd day of barrier coating after the last coat of barrier was thumb print tacky the 1st coat of anti-fouling was applied with a 2nd applied the following day.

I employed my buddy “big Tim”, who is currently out of work, to assist in the 2nd round of barrier coating & 1st coat of anti-fouling. He took the bait … 200 bucks and lunch / well worth it to me, not sure about him!
When I got into this, I thought how hard can it be? :? Man-o-man what a project, even with the “hard part” done by the soda team :shock: . I thought that soda cleaning was 100% … not quite, but at least 98.9% …. One still needs to sand the whole bottom and use the Surface prep/mold release to get the media out of the hull first or you will just grind it in. It was still better than stripping or scraping in my opinion, which both would have required a final 80 sanding.
I now do realize when a yard quotes $ 200 per LOA for stripping and barrier coating that they deserve it. Bottom painting labor was included as well, but not paint (plus $235). In the end was it worth taking the project on, yes & no as there were times that I wished that I’d just written the check, but I now know what I have and that it is done right! Total project cost : $1,700 / savings : $ 4,135 … the difference almost covers slip fees & fuel this year … that makes me feel good :roll:
Pitou 5 9 11 (2) (480x640).jpg
CIMG0079 (480x640).jpg
CIMG0076 (640x480).jpg
CIMG0085 (640x480).jpg
CIMG0109 (640x480).jpg
CIMG0100 (640x480).jpg
CIMG0102 - Copy (480x640).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Kevin: You really did a thorough job which should give you a lot of personal satisfaction. I don't think any yard would have done such a careful job and you saved some money besides. Would you do mine for $1700?
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Thanks Russ. A "good friend" is looking for a little help painting the exterior of his 16 ft. aluminum duck boat next week :shock: . I think I'll be out of town! :lol:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
ajrebman
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: WATERTOWN

Post by ajrebman »

Thanks for the info, that is pretty much what I did with sail boat in the past.
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by REBMystic »

That looks awesome. You won't have to worry about it for quite a long time. (decades!)
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"
BRISWISH
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Middle River, Maryland

Post by BRISWISH »

ajrebman and REBMystic - Thank you for commenting and bumping this thread!! When I had "Unleashed" hauled out this past November, I was MORTIFIED. I paid decent money to get her scraped and bottom painted in spring 2022 and almost all of the new paint came off through the 2022 boating season.

I decided to get her soda blasted in December and she looks SOOO GOOOD stripped. I've seen other boats before and afters, but Pitou's post is the first Albin I've seen with detailed pics from beginning to end. Once the bottom paint goes on and I get her detailed and ready for the 2023 boating season in the Spring, I'll post my before, during, and after soda blasting pics to refresh this thread.

My marina doesn't allow owners do to any of this work for environmental reasons. Even simply scraping and bottom painting. Times must have changed since 2011.

I'm so excited for 2023 boating after seeing this thread.

- Brian
Brian Swisher
2004 Albin 28 Flush Deck w/ 315 Yanmar - "Unleashed"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I’m coming up to my tenth year since soda blasting as the paint was terrible when FP2 arrived. Even after all this time and applying two coats of antifoul every year which is just about over a US gallon (5 litres), the underside is still smooth as the day I applied the first coat. I will say though when I pressure wash in the yard we have a hot water system and I think this plays a big part in removing all of the old paint. Most years, especially on the water line I will go back to the epoxy just by washing alone.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
BRISWISH
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Middle River, Maryland

Post by BRISWISH »

My work is complete and I thought I'd revive this thread.

When I hauled Unleashed out last year, this is what she looked like after being scraped and bottom painted in Spring 2022:
Before1.jpg
Before1.jpg

Here are some pics of the soda blasting work done in December 2022:
During1.jpg
During2.jpg
During3.jpg

Here are the final pics of the barrier coat and bottom paint that went on last week:
After1.jpg
After2.jpg
After3.jpg
After4.jpg
To say I am pleased is an understatement. I hope this last for years to come. She looks like a brand new boat.
Brian Swisher
2004 Albin 28 Flush Deck w/ 315 Yanmar - "Unleashed"
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Me too...
Guess I missed this thread when I had my 2001 Albin 28TE.
Had the bottom soda blasted as the old bottom paint was flaking off when power washed during a routing haul-out for bottom painting.
(Previous owner had the boat on a lift since new, no need for regular bottom painting)
Long story short it was needed and full procedure with sanding, 2 coats of epoxy and barrier boats applied as well as 2 coats of Petit epoxy based bottom paint applied. Also had other work done, like a new boot stripe, new anodes, etc.
Total bill was about $8,000 in 2018.
Lifetime warranty and worth every penny.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”