• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Teleflex (Sea Star) Updated Steering Cylinders

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Teleflex (Sea Star) Updated Steering Cylinders

Post by RobS »

Some of you may recall last summer my steering cylinder went at the Essex Rendezvous. It was the original smaller one, HC5312, and was original from 2000. So 9 years old, 700 hours, gave it no thought, just a failure due to age, wear & tear. I replaced it with 2 sizes up, the HC5314. Same mounting dimensions, etc.

Steering Cylinder Failure, Part II:

Well the new one developed a small leak that I discovered this weekend on my way home from a trip. I started to detect it by noticing a delayed course adjustment by the autopilot when I clicked the heading over a few degrees. I then felt it in the wheel when in Standby mode. A delay in rudder movement and the notchy feel of air in the helm. I threw the anchor and found that the leak was at the seal on the back of the cylinder. I still had steering but it was on it's way out. I keep 2 quarts of fluid and the fill kit on the boat. I topped off the helm with maybe 6 ounces of fluid and got the steering back to what felt like a 100%. I went easy on the steering and had no issues with the remaining 25 miles of my trip home. I did however change my float plan from an offshore to an inshore run between Shinnecock and Moriches.

Upon return, I checked my rudder and all was good. Defective cylinder - seems unlikely but what else could it be?

The cylinders have a 2 year warranty. I called Teleflex twice to speak with 2 different tech's to get 2 independent opinions. Both said sounds like a bad cylinder. I expected them to blame it on my improper use or my other equipment or improper installation but neither did. I then spoke to the warranty dept. and they asked me for the date stamp on the cylinder (01-09) and no questions asked they immediately shipped me a new cylinder and once I get it I will install it and I have 30days to send them back my old one, shipped at their expense.

Turns out they have updated the cylinder with tougher seals and some other enhancements. See attached. Would seem they were having problems with this series.

I spoke with Ken at Standish this week a couple of times to see if he had seen problems and he says that he has had a number of steering cylinder failures and seems to think that using the autopilot in a rough sea can contribute as the autopilot is constantly fighting the sea trying to maintain a straight path. I mentioned this to Teleflex tech reps and they said that their cylinders should be able to handle this situation without failure. However, as part of my run that weekend I was in some annoying following seas and was on autopilot the entire time, with some running at hull speed and some on plane - who knows it may have contributed.

So check your steering cylinders and anyone with a Teleflex (Sea Star) steering cylinder that may be within 2 years of age should give it a good inspection in case there is a small leak and you have a shot of a warranty replacement. My HC5314 leak can be seen by turning the wheel to port so the shaft disappears inside the cylinder bore. Then you can easily see the fluid coming out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Teleflex (Sea Star) Updated Steering Cylinders

Post by RobS »

New Cylinder came via UPS today. Well, they even included a quart of steering fluid and a fill kit. I should have told them I like Canadian Beer, maybe they would have included 2 Labatt's on dry ice..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Thanks for the update Rob
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Mine failed the same way about 3 years ago. New cylinder is still working fine, I check it about once every few months. I check my steering reservoir about once very 6 months and bleed out any air. This will tell you quickly if you have any leaks in your system.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

The steering on my 28 has gotten stiffer. I tried to fill it with some additional fluid two different times but it is full. I tried pumping the system by turning the wheel but it only loosens it a little. I wish I knew more about the hydraulic system. I looked in the clear plastic tube and do not see fluid. I assume that I have air in the system but not sure how to bleed it. Any advice?
Thanks.
Jack
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Jack wrote:The steering on my 28 has gotten stiffer. I tried to fill it with some additional fluid two different times but it is full. I tried pumping the system by turning the wheel but it only loosens it a little. I wish I knew more about the hydraulic system. I looked in the clear plastic tube and do not see fluid. I assume that I have air in the system but not sure how to bleed it. Any advice?
Thanks.
Jack
The clear plastic tube you are referring to is likely the tube that is used for bleeding. It gets stored across the 2 bleeder fittings which are located on the "T" on top of the cylinder. One side of each T is for the steering fluid pipe connection, the opposite side of the T is the bleeder fitting. That tube should not have fluid in it. Try disconnecting the shaft from the rudder arm (just 1 large bolt or pin) and moving the rudder by hand to be sure there isn't any binding. The manual for the steering cylinder has bleeding instructions. If you can't find your manual or find it on the web I can scan and attach mine.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

RobS, I've got a couple of questions for you since my cylinder started leaking last Saturday. First, did you consider rebuilding the cylinder? Second, how did the steering change after installing a larger cylinder. What I mean is, presently my steering is approximately 4 turns lock to lock. I have friends with larger cylinders that have to spin the wheel almost a full turn just to make minor course corrections. I'd rather put up with the stiffer wheel than all that steering motion.
Owner of 28' TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

I did not rebuild the first one as I wanted to upgrade to a larger cylinder plus I was on a boat trip when it happened and it was not even an option. The recent failure was covered by Teleflex under warranty.

The original cylinder was 4 turns hard over, the next one up is 5 and the one I have is 6. I don't even notice the difference anymore and the extra turn in either direction prevents you from easily going hard over on the rudder which is bad. Plus with the thruster it's not that often you need to go hard over anyway.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

creekman
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: white stone va

Post by creekman »

T-28, My cylinder was replaced under warranty after two failures. The cylinder had a small leak. Now I check the fluid level every time I fill up with fuel.
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Boy talk about karma... guess what I found leaking hydraulic oil this weekend!

Time to order new seals and get this repaired.

ROBS, curious, you say you went up a size, which one did you order, was it one of the brass ones??
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Capt Paul wrote:Boy talk about karma... guess what I found leaking hydraulic oil this weekend!

Time to order new seals and get this repaired.

ROBS, curious, you say you went up a size, which one did you order, was it one of the brass ones??
I went up 2 sizes to the HC5314.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Thanks ROBS , I will look into it.

Paul
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Anthony1013 »

As usual, another great thread. I've been dealing with a slow loss of steering fluid over the past 6 months and I haven't been able to track down the source. I replaced the vented fill plug because I found some fluid behind the wheel but I'm still losing fluid very slowly. My next idea was to install a Helm Seal Kit (HS 5147).

When your steering cylinders failed, how quickly did you lose the fluid? Were there obvious signs on the cylinder?

Thanks,

Anthony
28' Albin "MadMoney" in Ilwaco/Seattle
CCA Member & PSA Sno-King Member
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Both times mine has failed its been the outboard (port) seal of ram tube that has failed.
it can be a mere dribble at the start to it flowing quite freely as the seal failure progresses.

When i first noticed it this Sunday I immediately went to the stern of the boat and checked the ram. I saw a little bit of fluid in the bilge. By the time I go back to the dock there was allot more there to the point I would say the seal has completely failed.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Same here, both times it was the seal in the mounting foot end of the cylinder, which is to port on the 28. This was one of the major upgrades in the updated cylinder. The updated cylinder has a slightly longer rod which does not disappear as far into the cylinder end and the seals are redesigned and supposedly tougher. The fact that it took no longer than 30 seconds on the phone with the warranty rep for him to tell me a new cylinder is gonna be shipped to me confirms that this was a problem design.

The first time mine failed it went from notchy steering to nearly total failure within a half hour of running. I never completely lost the steering but the thruster became essential. I was close to my transient marina at the time so I did not bother to try to refill it while out on the water.

The second time I checked the cylinder as soon as I felt the steering go bumpy and found the leak. I was able to drop anchor, refill the helm and continue my 2 hour run home without issue. No autopilot and only slight movements of the wheel.

So do keep a couple quarts of steering fluid and a fill kit on board and you should be able to get back to port under your own power..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”