• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Chief's Winterization List - 2017

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Chief's Winterization List - 2017

Post by jcollins »

This was started in 2006 by Chiefrcd. I thought it would be helpful for new members/first time owners.

And, as questions about winterizing seem to have started, we bring you the list again!

All your water systems need to be winterized and your batteries need to be protected. The first thing I do each year I make a list of the items that I need to address:

1. Engine coolant ( Fresh water side, just like a car )
2. Sea water system including all the coolers/heat exchangers
3. Fresh water system (potable) . Including hot water tank
4. Waste water system (black water) including holding tank
5. Gray water system (bilge, drains etc.)
6. AC/Heat system ( in my case a heat/pump)
7. Salt water wash and live well pump.

I purchase 16 gallons of pink antifreeze ( RV/Camper/Boat non-toxic).
I pump all the water out of my fresh water (potable) that I can and I pour 10 gallons of antifreeze into the freshwater tank. I then open each faucet on my boat, including the stern shower, freshwater wash, inside shower, head sink and galley sink. I run these until I get a solid pink stream. Don't forget that you have to actually pump all the fresh water out of your hot water tank unless you drain it first.

I then hook up a 5/8" hose from a 5 gallon container filled with antifreeze and I purge my entire AC system with antifreeze until pink runs out of the thru hull.

I then pump out my head at the marina pump out station and then I disconnect my intake line into my head and connect the antifreeze hose to that and flush the head with antifreeze, this also allows some antifreeze to go into the holding tank. I then run the overboard macerator pump for about three seconds to get antifreeze into that line too.

I pour a little antifreeze into each scupper hole and about two quarts into the bilge.

On the saltwater wash and live bait well, I make sure the sea cocks are closed and I disconnect those lines and drain them and leave them disconnected and draining downward until spring.l

Now I'm ready to fish until it gets really cold....

The last thing I do is winterize the engine. First you need to check the antifreeze properties in your freshwater cooling system. Just like a car you need to use a antifreeze tester unless you KNOW for sure what your ratio of water to antifreeze is. I keep mine the same all year. So now all I have to do is winterize the engine. I do this by makeing sure my keystone valve is closed ( sea water intake)...then I open my strainer and get all my remaining antifreeze ready. I have someone start the engine and start pouring anti-freeze into the seacock until pink comes out of the exhaust discharge.....and that's it. If for some reason I run the boat again, all I have to do is winterize the engine again.

I will add that here in VA our winters are relatively mild compared to our northern brothers, you might want to talk to some folks in the colder states who have winterized their boats to see if there is some other things you should do. You might for example,need to do something to protect your hull if you leave your boat in the water all winter ( bubbler etc.)
Last edited by filer on Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 13 times in total.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I purchase 16 gallons of pink antifreeze
WOW!
I winterize my 40 ft Albin with 6 gallons. :wink:
That includes the engine, generator, washdown system, two heads and the galley.
Then I pour one gallon of regular green antifreeze into the holding tank just in case there ia any water (or whatever!) left.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Winterization

Post by johnmurray »

Up here where it gets really cold I do all the things on the above list, but I would add a few more.
I run plumbing anti-freeze through all of the bilge pumps, plus the shower sump.
I leave my batteries (4Ds) in the boat but I plug in the battery charger every few weeks during the winter to top up the charge.
I make sure my fuel tanks are almost full (to reduce condensation) and I add a fuel stabilzer (Stabil).
I have along list of things I remove from the boat, especially anything that has a battery in it.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anti freeze

Post by RicM »

The green (auto type) antifreeze is poisonous and cannot be made safe. Using it in the holding tank and then pumping it into a pumpout station is like emptying it into a storm drain or pouring it down your sink. Not recommended. Especially not if you discharge overboard.

Pink antifreeze costs a little more, but you can reuse it in your grey and blackwater systems next season, then dump it with a clean conscience.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

More on Antifreeze

Post by RicM »

I use about 10 Gal of pink in my 28TE, but only buy about 5-7 Gal each year. To me it's not worth the plumbing problems to drain and bypass the small hot water heater (10 Gal?) In the spring I pump all the pink in the potable water system into the empty containers from the year before and store them for the season. In the fall I use fresh antifreeze in the potable water system, including the hot water heater. The used stuff from the year before I use in the head, holding tank, shower pump, hatch drains, bilge pumps and low lying bilge areas. I have the yard do the engine, but you could surely use 2nd year pink for that if you do your own. The antifreeze doesn't wear out, it just gets diluted, so I will throw some -60 in with the used stuff if I'm worried about it.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

pouring it down your sink. Not recommended. Especially not if you discharge overboard.
Pouring into the sink or into the sewer system is the recommended disposal method just so you know.
(Not for commercial quanties though) I cannot pump overboard (all those have been removed) so no danger there.

but you could surely use 2nd year pink for that if you do your own
The issue with the pink is that it does not mix with water like the green stuff and give protection. The pink stuff must work on it's own.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anti freeze

Post by RicM »

Ric Murray

Wickford RI
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Ric, I just replied about antifreeze in the hot water heater in another thread. Like you I run extra through the heater, its easier and safer for the heater (cause you might turn it on over the winter).
Im not sure though how good it is to save your leftover stuff. I thought you might do it to prevent pollution. I looked into Virgin propylene glycol (-50 pink stuff) and its says it bio-degradable. I not so sure about saving it unless your willing to use a hydrometer to test it the next year, its only a few dollars saved and the consequences of using less than ideal fluid,, well you get the idea it will cost many times over.

I drain everything I can first including the hot water tank to reduce dilution then 8-10 for freshwater (including 6 gal tank and plumbing), use 5-6 for engine, another 4-5 for head. I always 1-2 in all the scupper pipes, ect...

My old boat was gas and had an outdrive, the costs of servicing that in the winter and then tuneups in the spring... well lets just say I like the inboard and diesel.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

pink

Post by RicM »

See post above....Pink stuff doesn't go bad, it's not worked over, diluted etc. the only thing that could happen is alcohol could evaporate off I guess. I'm not using in the engine where damage could be big bucks. Let's face it, your gray/black water system is going to start leaking someday, it's not the end of the world.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Nordvika's Winterization list

Remove cushions from flybridge
Remove snap-in carpet from cabin salon
Check all drains and scuppers for clogs and remove as necessary
Check and ensure all portholes and windows are in the closed position
Relocate soda and beer reserves from cockpit locker to bilge storage.
Remove swimsuits from hanging locker
Install rain jackets in hanging locker
Restock stores of hot chocolate, apple cider, and oatmeal.
Flip reverse cycle A/C control from "cool" to "heat"
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Nice!

Post by Legacy »

Mariner - - sounds like more fun than a New England winter!

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Remove swimsuits from hanging locker
Install rain jackets in hanging locker
Restock stores of hot chocolate, apple cider, and oatmeal.
Flip reverse cycle A/C control from "cool" to "heat"
Tough list 8)
John
bayweeklyeditor
Deckhand
Deckhand

Thanks to Chief's Winterization List

Post by bayweeklyeditor »

This is just what I was hoping for. This is my first year to try to winterize our 2001 Albin 28 (bought in summer 07). Going on general guidelines and without an owner's manual, I feared what I didn't know.
jcollins
In Memorium

Re: Thanks to Chief's Winterization List

Post by jcollins »

bayweeklyeditor wrote:This is just what I was hoping for. This is my first year to try to winterize our 2001 Albin 28 (bought in summer 07). Going on general guidelines and without an owner's manual, I feared what I didn't know.
Welcome to the group! Will you make the rendezvous next year?

I have a feeling this post (Chiefs list) will go on for years.
John

Return to “Albin Maintenance”