• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Winterization and Helm Seats

tdsull
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Winterization and Helm Seats

Post by tdsull »

Two thoughts / questions.

1. I am replacing my helm seats, which ones are peoples favorites? If you can please include a hyperlink. I am tall so a high back support is key

2. I am thinking about taking the top of my sea strainer to a machine shop and having a garden hose thread tapped into the top of the strainer. I might just end up having a hole drilled through with a nut brazed to the backside. Thought is to simplify fresh water flushing and winterizing.

Any thoughts?
Tim
Louise ll
28 TE 2000 (6LP-STE)
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Winterization and Helm Seats

Post by Jeremyvmd »

They offer that mod premade so you don't have to do it yourself. That way you always have the factory one to go back to. As far as seats go. Do you want reclining? Flip up bolster? Budget?
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
tdsull
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tdsull »

I haven't seen the modified premade strainer top, where might I find that?

Reclining would be nice but not necessary. I open to spending 350 or so for each.
Thanks
Tim
Louise ll
28 TE 2000 (6LP-STE)
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

There are two I have found. I know at least one member who has each of them as liked them. Second ones come in a high back as well. I know tag team has a set he likes but they are a little more expensive
http://www.pontoonstuff.com/collections ... tain-chair

http://www.iboats.com/Low-Back-Reclinin ... _id.924038

As far as the covers I can't seem to find them. But I've seen them before for the perko strainers. I did find the ones for grocco strainers. I'll keep looking
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

Those seats look very comfortable.... I wonder how much additional room they take up over the stock ones, I need to go measure!
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Both of your projects had hit my list at one time or another and I have a library of pictures.
There use to be a company called ThoroFlush that made flush caps for Perko strainers, but have since gone out of business.

I had Perkos on my 2002 28TE. If you have a Perko or a Groco strainer, it would be easy to replicate the ThoroFlush using some standard bronze plumbing fittings by drilling a hole in the Perko cap, threading it for a nipple to a standard hose connection with a shutoff valve in between. Here are a couple of pictures of one of my ThoroFlush units:
CIMG1907.JPG
CIMG1909.JPG
With Groco strainers you have at least three options:
1). Buy a bronze cap and do the same as described and shown above.
2). Add a "Groco Flush Kit" unit to to the top of the sea strainer seacock. This unit can also be used as an emergency seawater evac of the bilge and for winterizing. If you have a Groco this is the best and most permanent way to go and are available in all sizes.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=2755962
Groco Engine Flush Kit.jpg
3). Purchase a ready made "Trac-Flush Cap" / these are plastic Groco caps drilled and threaded with a 3/4 nipple. Adding a double ended female hose connection will effectively get you where you need to go. I utilize one of these for my generator and my AC to fresh water flush and winterize. They are available in all strainer sizes.
http://trac-online.com/product/trac-flushcaps
Trac Flushcap.jpg
The pontoon boat seats are great options. A bunch of guys on the DownEast Boat Forum have gone with the Lexington that Jeremy posted from iboats. They have all had good luck with them. There are four different configurations to choose from with that seat plus with or without arms: Low Back, Low Back with headrest, High Back, High Back with headrest.
I'm seriously considering replacing my original Albin Bristol Cushions deluxe helmseat with the Low Back with headrest & arms.
Here's a picture and a dimensional drawing:
Lexington Helm Seat.jpg
Lexington Helm Seat Dimensions.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
tdsull
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tdsull »

Those seats are light years ahead of my original seats, cant wait.

Pitou, your pics are exactly what I was thinking. I hadn't thought about shut off valve in between. Very cool.

The threaded connection leaving my strainer is 2" and the hose barb is 1 3/4". The Groco inlets and outlets are the same, so I was looking into a reducing bushing when the concept of modifying the top of the strainer came up. I don't believe the top of my strainer is threaded so the tract flush adapter wont work.

Thanks for all the ideas, so helpful. I will post a pic of the final condition, what ever I decide.
Tim
Louise ll
28 TE 2000 (6LP-STE)
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

tdsull wrote:Those seats are light years ahead of my original seats, cant wait.

Pitou, your pics are exactly what I was thinking. I hadn't thought about shut off valve in between. Very cool.

The threaded connection leaving my strainer is 2" and the hose barb is 1 3/4". The Groco inlets and outlets are the same, so I was looking into a reducing bushing when the concept of modifying the top of the strainer came up. I don't believe the top of my strainer is threaded so the tract flush adapter wont work.

Thanks for all the ideas, so helpful. I will post a pic of the final condition, what ever I decide.
Considering the vintage year of your boat .. a 2000 I believe from a previous post:

If the top cap of your strainer is threaded you have a Groco strainer.
If the top cap of your strainer is not and like the ThoroFlush cap pictured above you have a Perko strainer.

Enjoy your projects!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Please post a pic of your new seats if you do them, I'm considering replacing mine,not sure what will look good and hold up, I saw a seat at the Stamford Ct fall boat show from Arrigoni design that was great,$1300 each boat show special price!Too much cabbage for me!

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”