• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

number of people on 28

chesapeake albin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: chesapeake

number of people on 28

Post by chesapeake albin »

I have read the other threads on this, however looking for some real knowledge....

I am looking at having 10+ people on board for a short cruise, half will be kids.

Has anybody had any problems with the scuppers or the exhaust taking on water from this amount of weight on board?

Thanks again
Travis
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: number of people on 28

Post by Nancy »

That's an awful lot of people for the boat unless it's a very short putt-putt tour - nothing above hull speed.

We had five adults aboard one day last summer, and the boat ran fine and got up on plane, but it felt heavy and sluggish. It was one person too many in my opinion.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

We regularly have five to six adults on board our 2001 w/300HP Yanmar. Never an issue getting on plane. Yes, it's not quite as "nimble" than with two or four on board but certainly does not feel unsafe.
Don.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

We have had 5 adults but seating is limited in the 28 so where would you put them. The rule of thumb is length (in feet) times beam (in feet) divided by 15. S0 (28*10)/15=18.66 people. Hum.. That may have been for the old weight I would have to check. But I wouldn't.. There is no place to stand and if it hit the fan no room to react too many bodies in the way. I'm comfortable with 6 max but they would be sitting around trying to be comfortable.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Two comfortable folding chairs against the transom corners, one in captain's chair, one in first mate's chair and the last two on gunnel corners near the hard top, or seated on engine box, standing between seats, etc. I've even had two aft facing folding chairs either side the engine box; it works well. Remberer, he said that he was planning a short cruise not a fishing trip.
Don.
chesapeake albin
First Mate
First Mate

I am in Annapolis and want to take some of my kids friends and their parents to see the blue angels show.

I am figuring sticking a few kids up front and four on the engine box, two in chairs, so that's about ten.

I am only worried about the turbo sucking water through the exhaust. When I get more than half a tank of fuel my exhaust is half underwater with no body on board so I am wondering what would happen if I added 1000lbs of people to that.

Thanks again everybody
tadel001
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stevensville, MD

Post by tadel001 »

See you on the water. We will be anchored for the Blue Angels as well. One of the best boating experiences on the Bay. Love the F-18 flying less than 100' over my head.
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Post by drbob »

Keep in mind though that you cannot allow people (especially kids) on the bow, to sit on the gunnels or transom when you're underway. Okay when you're moored or at anchor.
Bob
chesapeake albin
First Mate
First Mate

drbob,

Respectfully,
Is this a legal issue or your good advice?

Thanks
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

I'm no legal expert but if legs are hanging over the sides, your gonna get stopped.
Just sitting up front, inside the railing, maybe get stopped but I don't believe it gets you a ticket.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
drbob
First Mate
First Mate

Post by drbob »

I'm not a lawyer and so I'm not giving legal advice. I am former USCG.

All the states I'm familiar with have rules and regulations about bow riding.

Maryland for example, has specific bow riding prohibitions:

Reckless and Negligent Operation
5. Bow riding or riding on seatback, gunwale, or transom.

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/boating/Docume ... essels.pdf

To a Coastie, anything that looks like an unsafe act will get you stopped and in some cases, boarded. If egregious like kids riding on the bow of a boat where seats are not part of the vessel design (life jackets or not), you will be embarrassed, perhaps ticketed, and if other violations are identified such as insufficient numbers of the correct size USCG Live Jackets, your trip will be terminated.

For everyone reading this post, let me urge you to take a USCG Aux or Power Squadron "Safe Boating" course, get copies of your State's safe boating act and the rules and regulations for recreational vessels. Everyone should get your Vessel Safety Check (it's free from the USCG Aux and Power Squadron). You'd be surprised by what you find out about your vessel. Top reasons for not passing at our recent AOG Rendezvous: Nav lights inoperable and state registration numbers incorrectly displayed.

Take care out there

Bob DeGroot
2005 A28TE Box & Gen
Day Tripper
Cape Coral, FL
chesapeake albin
First Mate
First Mate

I was not aware of those rules, Thanks for posting that.

I am thinking it is fine to have people sit on the engine box still and all the kids can sit on the cockpit floor.

However, I have to question if this is really enforceable. I have never once seen a sailboat in a race where people were not all over every part of the boat.
The document you posted says vessels but does not specify power vessels. Is there a difference if they are under sail at the time?

Either way, thanks again, I had planned on people sitting all over the gunwales
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I suspect races are under a different set of rules than every day boating...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
drbob
First Mate
First Mate

Post by drbob »

These rules are for "Vessels Propelled by Machinery."

The entire section:

Reckless and Negligent Operation
Law prohibits negligent or grossly negligent operation of a vessel that endangers
lives and/ or property. The U.S. Coast Guard for this offense may impose a civil
penalty under federal laws. The operator may be subjected to a fine of up to
$5,000 and/or imprisonment for up to one year, or both. The Maryland penalty is
a fine of up to $500 for the first offense.
Some examples of actions that may constitute negligent or grossly negligent
operation include but are not limited to:
1. Operating in a swimming area.
2. Operating under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
3. Excessive speed in the vicinity of other boats or in dangerous waters.
4. Hazardous water skiing practices or Personal Watercraft operations (i.e., Jet
Ski’s, etc.).
5. Bow riding or riding on seatback, gunwale, or transom.

Sailboat racing and normal operations follow a different set of rules unless they are being propelled by machinery (under power), then they fall under the same rules as above. Note the above are "examples" (emphasis mine).

Sitting on the engine box is fine, on the deck okay but, they should not block the walkway in a manner that could impede the safe operation of your vessel. Take a couple lawn chairs for people to sit on while underway. Make sure the kids have the appropriate size life jackets and if they are 12 or under, are wearing them.

Select the link and carefully review the information. States sometimes have rules and regulations that are different than the CG. Get a copy of Col Regs and bone up.

Bob DeGroot
2005 A28TE Box & Gen
Day Tripper
Cape Coral, FL
chesapeake albin
First Mate
First Mate

Well I have 11 people confirmed for this trip wed.
Weather is supposed to be nice and I have about a 45 min boat ride each way plus some floating around.

5 adults and 6 kids all 8 years old, I am thinking this is about 1200lbs of people.
I currently have about half a tank of fuel.

I am feeling uneasy about this and think I should have not invited so many people.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on the weight issue. I feel like I can give everyone a safe place to sit, not so worried about that.

Thanks again
Travis

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”