• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE Update

catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

28 TE Update

Post by catalina_mike »

So I had a issue the other day when returning from fishing (not catching). I wanted to check out the vessel after the timing belt change and valve adjustment. When I purchased and joined the forum I downloaded the owners manual from the document section. This is and has been a great resource. There is however a typo for the micron of the fuel filter. It lists 2 micron but should be 20 or 30. After about 2100 rpm I was no building horsepower and black smoke would start coming from the exhaust. So I text the mechanic as I was mid channel. He met us at the dock and was very interested in finding out what was up. After a little time checking the exhaust mixing elbow and turbo play he started asking about the fuel. We swapped out the filter and after adjusting the linkage to where we got full throttle.. He asked me if I ever open her up and I said I like 14 knots so no reason to beat ourselves up.

To the other fisherman who approached us out of Newport (looking to buy a 28TE) it is true these baby's will and do go 21 knots in a small craft advisory! Mechanic test ride in a small craft.. spray everywhere felt like deadliest catch!
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: 28 TE Update

Post by RobS »

So you had one of these rides..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

They'll do better than that Mike! With the new propellor we fitted to FP2 this year, we saw an average increase in speed of almost 1 and a half knots. We now do nearly 24 knots full chat and at 3300-3400 rpm it's a comfortable 18-19 knots. I find that around 18 knots, the 28 handles at its best and is a much drier ride than that of sub 17 knots.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

I think this year has been one of those years for too many rides like that Rob!

https://instagram.com/p/6Kv5AYQC87/
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

catalina_mike wrote:So I had a issue the other day when returning from fishing (not catching). I wanted to check out the vessel after the timing belt change and valve adjustment. When I purchased and joined the forum I downloaded the owners manual from the document section. This is and has been a great resource. There is however a typo for the micron of the fuel filter. It lists 2 micron but should be 20 or 30.
I've always run a 10 micron filter (blue) in the Racor on the good advice of Standish Boat Yard. Never had an issue with plugging and change it out each season after 100 - 135 hours for an average season. Still doing the same on the 31TE.
RobS wrote:So you had one of these rides..
Looks familiar Rob. I too had many a green water over the rooftop ride in my 28! These are great sea boats.

Depending upon sea state, I pretty much cruised at 16.5 to 18 kts. at 10 gph.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

Tree - What prop did you switch too? I'm running the stock 19x19 LH with a medium cup - turning about 3900rpm's at WOT.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

MadMoney wrote:Tree - What prop did you switch too? I'm running the stock 19x19 LH with a medium cup - turning about 3900rpm's at WOT.
I'll post up the data sheet when I get in to work but it's a 20 x 19 with a 3 cup basically.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Tree wrote:
MadMoney wrote:Tree - What prop did you switch too? I'm running the stock 19x19 LH with a medium cup - turning about 3900rpm's at WOT.
I'll post up the data sheet when I get in to work but it's a 20 x 19 with a 3 cup basically.
Excited to get the info...

Thanks everyone still learning the boat. But loving it! How are you guys and gals keeping the wiper pressure so they actually wipe the window. I replaced the old wiper arms with new ones but they don't push down on the glass much.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Pantograph wipers Mike. One of my favourite upgrades to the boat!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Oh yes, nearly forgot that propeller data sheet.

I'll dig that out in a bit, otherwise search my posts, it's in here somewhere already.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

Many days with water over the roof here in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. I find that ~15 kts in the bad weather helps the boat ride better and handle the waves better. Of course you need to slow down for the big ones - 8'+.

I don't bother turning on the windshield wipers when it is bad like this. Just use RainX and when the walls of water come over the bow, they just sheet right off the windows. We were just out in 35+ kt winds with 6' to 8' building wind waves last week, and I loved every minute of it in my 28. My last boat would have sunk.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Apologies for it being up the wrong way!

Correction to my previous post - it is actually 20 x 19.5" with a 3 cup. I think I could have got away with a 4 cup but then we've been in the water for 9 months now with weed growing on the bottom and still achieve around 16.5-17 knots at 3300-3400 rpm. With the 4 cup, the engine may be held back slightly. WOT is around 3700 at present due to the weed build up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Robb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tacoma, WA

Post by Robb »

Tree,

Your swinging a 20" diameter prop? That is probably getting the tip clearance pretty close to the hull. Any increase in sound or harmonics?

I never even though of going to 20". Love this forum.
Robb Stilnovich
"Stella Maris" 1996 28TE #279
Cummins 6BTA-370
Tacoma, WA
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Robb. It was something I was concerned about, I was expecting a hammering like drone noise, but nothing!

My buddy had this same propellor made for his 2005 boat that side by side with FP2 which is a 2000 hull has obvious differences. He has a smaller skeg and as a result of this, he can achieve almost 25 knots but cruises at 18-19 knots at around 3300.

Without checking the engine rpm with a strobe, we can't be sure that both tachs are correct as he doesn't have the Yanmar binnacle but the bede gauges.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”