• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

My 2014 '97 28TE Projects

John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

My 2014 '97 28TE Projects

Post by John_Madison CT »

Got the 28TE launched today (finally, latest launch ever!). She's sitting at her slip in Clinton Harbor (CT) .

I got a few things done since picking her up last October.

Here you go:

1. 4 of 6 Rod Holders installed. I'll be adding two more on the gunnels, forward of the current ones. FYI, 3 of the 4 I had access underneath to put nuts/bolts. One, 2nd over from the port side, I used screws and 5200. I don't have the shower head access port.
image.jpg
image.jpg
2. Installed Furuno GP1870F Fishfinder/GPS Chartplotter with Airmar B60 Tilted element transducer.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

3. Installed SeablazeX Blue LED underwater light. Haven't seen it on in the water yet. (Still daylight here: ))
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: My 2014 '97 28TE Projects

Post by whwells »

John _Madison Ct" Nice work and the pictures are helpful. Have a great season. Our No. Cal. Salmon season should open early May. Can't wait for that first fresh catch.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/Flybridge
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Nice stuff John, thanks for posting. Did you work on her all winter? This is the first winter since owning T-R that I did not have a real winter project on hand and I guess I was lucky for that as with the heavy snow and extreme cold it would have been very difficult.

I am not seeing how you would have underside access to the rod holder on the port corner?

What a surprise on the gunnel top thickness when drilling those rod holders, right? Damn near deeper than my hole saw blade.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member

The port corner rod holder is accessible by removing the port gunnel insert. A lot of screws, you have to take off the louvers and cut out the sealant. A bit ambitious but not difficult. You then have blind access to the underside of the rod holder. I'll need access when I install the port forward rod holder too.

I suppose I could lag screw those in too, but thru-bolting is stronger.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

John_Madison CT wrote:The port corner rod holder is accessible by removing the port gunnel insert. A lot of screws, you have to take off the louvers and cut out the sealant. A bit ambitious but not difficult. You then have blind access to the underside of the rod holder. I'll need access when I install the port forward rod holder too.

I suppose I could lag screw those in too, but thru-bolting is stronger.
Way to add those rod holders. You can never have enough lines in the water!

Through bolting is the way to go, but as you saw and from Rob's picture there is plenty to screw into. When I installed the rod holder starboard side of the transom door and not having a transom shower as well I used a series of extensions on a ratchet and with a buddy on the phillips head above we got it through bolted. Just another knuckle mashing boat project!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well sorry to say that the transducer mounting location does not work. I loose bottom readings at around 10 knots and it doesn't come back until I slow down.

Anyone else have pics of their 28te transducer mounting location? Fwiw, the old transducer still attached also lost bottom at 10 knots. I should have learned from it, but I blamed it on 17 year old technology.

So, looks like 2015 will have a new location to mount a transducer, but the question is......where?
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

John_Madison CT wrote:Well sorry to say that the transducer mounting location does not work. I loose bottom readings at around 10 knots and it doesn't come back until I slow down.

Anyone else have pics of their 28te transducer mounting location? Fwiw, the old transducer still attached also lost bottom at 10 knots. I should have learned from it, but I blamed it on 17 year old technology.

So, looks like 2015 will have a new location to mount a transducer, but the question is......where?

I've the same issue sometimes - it all depends for me how i've got the boat trimmed. Bow down and I will lose readings on both the midship transducer and stern mounted one - Bow up and both work even at 18 knots quite comfortably.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

That sux. Did you try playing with the gain, put it on manual gain and go max?

I see a few things. Air is the culprit. Ever see a video or picture of the bottom of a boat while underway on plane. It's covered in air bubbles. I think the high speed fairing block mounted transducers have a better chance of getting down beyond those bubbles than a flush mounted one, especially when the bottom condition is not smooth due to nooks and crannies from old bottompaint layers. She's way back in the boat so she's getting a lot of air bubbles due to all of the surface area in front of her. It is also best to keep the ducer as close to centerline as possible, your's is way out towards the chine edge of the hull. And, due to the angle of the leading edge of the old ducer, it also looks like at higher speed the old ducer could be interfering with the new ducer's clear flow of water, hard to tell..

As a 2014 "in-water" remedy, try picking up an inexpensive plastic transducer and shooting it through. I know it is supposed to not work on a cored hull but I have heard some cases where it has. I think you're balsa core which could work out. For under $150 the Furuno 520-5PSD would be worth a try. Just drape the wire loose from the display and put the ducer in a plastic bag of water. If it works at the dock then go out with a helper and keep moving it around while underway. I would try under the center hatch as close to the front of the engine as possible. Or from one of the cockpit side hatches in the center bilge area under the engine. Where safety earphones.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Bummer John. When I first saw the posted transducer photo I crossed my fingers for you. My first ducer location on my 28 was where your fairing block is. My local electronics shop swapped out a new ducer in the same location .. same issue dropping out.

Check out this thread for transducer location (especially page 2). As Rob stated, you need to get that transducer close to the center line forward of the transmission on the port side. Your drop outs will disappear. This is where Airmar recommends that the transducer be mounted. Sorry for your trouble and disappointment.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2305&hilit=transducer
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member

Finished adding the two additional rod holders forward on the gunnel. That makes 10 total. 6 in the gunnels and 4 across the transom.

Also, when I got the boat, the area forward of the passenger seat had an old GPS cut in, so that was ripped out, and I put in something useful, a totally redundant Icom M604 VHF. It has it's own antenna, wiring, and will also be hooked up to a hailer horn, since the Icom can put out Fog tones etc....

John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member

Going to change the name and add Wishbone riggers next. A guy on THT LWalker worked closely with me to get exactly what I wanted. Much cheaper than a local shop too. This his photoshop job:

image.jpg
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member

Riggers mounted:

Put a Zodiac up top too:

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Looking good! Lots of nice projects.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member

Added Spreader Lights. Replaced the nuts/bolts with stainless. These lights are cheap, about $35 on Ebay. I soaked everything down with Boeshield.

The light brackets for the 1.5" pipe I bought from Birdsall Marine, about $55 each.
image.jpg
image.jpg
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Great setup, those are some high quality brackets no doubt. Did you ever experiment with a shoot through transducer?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”