• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Storage Ideas?

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Storage Ideas?

Post by johnmurray »

In clearing out my boat for the winter layup, I was once again dismayed by the mess in the storage area under the sette on the port side of the cabin. Because that area is beside the sink and stove it receives most of my non-pershable food stuffs and anything else that has no special place to go. By the end of a season, with the motion of the boat and the irregular shape, stuff rolls down into the lowest corners. I was thinking of trying to build some shelves or compartments in there, but I am not sure how. Does anyone have any tested suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Re: Storage Ideas?

Post by sweetwater »

No, But it sounds like something I will look at this winter also. I will post if I come up with anything worthwhile.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

John, it looks like the 28TE has a similar configuration--and challenge--as your boat. We've done a couple of things.

In the space behind the seat back cushion, I lucked out with a rectangular plastic box that nestles into the opening without falling through. To be on the safe side, I've only put lightweight objects in there such as mixing bowls, drip coffee gizmo, etc. So if it had fallen through, nothing would have broken or damaged something else.

In the space under the settee, we installed a simple shelf. The cleat is fastened with three screws from the outside of the compartment into the cleat. The shelf is screwed down into the cleat on the dinette side and just rests on the hull curvature on the other side. I intentionally wanted it to be easily removed for cleaning, access, etc.

Hope that all makes sense and gives you some ideas.
dinette settee shelf-1-082812-1600.JPG
dinette settee shelf-2-082812-1600.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Followed Nancy's lead on this one for the bottom storage, but also cut a piece for the area behind the seat back.
Shelving.JPG
After bracing and installing the shelving I lined both areas w/a shelf liner that was more like a thin, almost foamy rubber matting material I got at Walmart. I used 2 sided tape to secure it in place (and easy to remove to access underneath), and as you can see, ran it up the hull to provide a non-scratch and non-sliding surface. These areas now hold a 12 cup coffee pot, toaster, 5 quart crock pot, electric skillet, a serving tray, and some plastic dinner ware.
Top Storage.JPG
Bottom Storage.JPG
The next storage project with follow the lead of others here and go after a sliding drawer above the 1/4 berth. Here's what it looks like raw.
DSCN1995.JPG
Gotta use every square inch. It was fun!!!!
gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Post by gerber30 »

For your future storage area here are some pictures of a drawer I built over the quarter berth. Great for lightweight/ bulky stuff.
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I have come up with something to fill those two holes I described in my post that started this thread.
I built two "boxes" out of 1/2" plywood. They are as large as is possible and still be able to fit them in through the openings behind and under the settee. The boxes are tapered to utilize as much of the available space as possibe. The box that goes under the seat is 22 1/2" long, 11 1/2" wide and 8" high at the aft end and 6" high at the forward end. For the opening behind the settee I made the box in two parts and fastened them to-gether with nuts and bolts after placement. The total width is 20", the height is 11" and the depth is 9 3/4" at the aft end and 6 1/2" at the forward end.
They are simply placed in position with no attachments to anything. When winter ends about five months from now I will find out if that works or I need some velcro somewhere. Three pictures below provide a better idea.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Nice boxes, John!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine