• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Insulated Plywood Partition

joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Insulated Plywood Partition

Post by joe.baar »

I removed the plywood partition ahead of the transmission for better access. So far I'm not convinced its noise-deadening capabilities outweigh the wide open spaces created when it's not there.

The photos should show well enough how it's configured. The plywood is 1/2" stuff, with the shiny insulation on the transmission side. It was held in place by 2 screws on each side and 3 screws down the center tab. All the screws were accessible from the battery compartment. Getting the two halves out through the battery compartment hatch was more difficult than undoing the screws. Altogether a half-hour project. Now I can see the inboard end of the shaft, rotating.
IMG_1311.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG
IMG_1312.JPG
IMG_1313.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Insulated Plywood Partition

Post by RobS »

Quite different than the 28TE. All of the 28's I have been aboard do not have the soundown on that wood partition. And, mort importantly, they have an access door to the tranny coupler. Engine alignment and tranny service without the access door would certainly be awkward. Here's a typical 28TE battery compartment with the plywood partition and access door. Typical in design, not typical in cleanliness. Anyone who knows me, knows this certainly is not TOY-RIFIC !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

Joe and Rob,

Thanks for addressing this issue. I am anxious to get over to the boat tomorrow to check out my partition. I have a 1998 28TE and recall that my partition doesn't have an access door like Rob's. I am thinking if it doesn't, I'll install one.

Rob, if you have a chance would you post a front view of the access door?
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

dkircher wrote:..Rob, if you have a chance would you post a front view of the access door?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joe.baar »

Up at the boat today, ran the Yanmar and I may be deef but I cannot tell the difference in noise with the partition removed. If anything there are fewer surfaces rubbing together and squeaking :lol: . The rotating shaft is awesome, too.

PS., Rob, this is a 1995 28TE engine box model just FYI. Great photos of your partition, thanks.
(former owners)
Ballard
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

Rob and Joe,

Thanks for the great photos and information on the plywood partition. My 1998 28TE with a Cummins 330, has a solid partition, no door and not two pieces like Joe's. It appears to be removable with a little twisting and turning. This just shows that Albin couldn't make up their minds about how to provide access to the tranny. No doubt, I like Rob's configuration!

I'll post a photo of my partition after I download the photo from my camera and, when I have the time, create a door like Rob's.
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

This just shows that Albin couldn't make up their minds about how to provide access to the tranny. No doubt, I like Rob's configuration!
When I read this post, I kept asking myself "what are they talking about?"
I don't have anything there. Either the previous owner removed it or it was never installed. I can't post a picture. Rob would raise hell about the condition of my bilge. :oops:
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

jcollins wrote: ....I can't post a picture. Rob would raise hell about the condition of my bilge. :oops:
Sure you can, but you have to write "this was from a boat I looked at but obviously wouldn't buy!"
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joe.baar »

I'm still not sure why this partition was ever put there. It's just something else to clean and it obstructs access to the real stuff. Why would I not want to see the transmission from the battery compartment? I just don't get it.
(former owners)
Ballard
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:...
Sure you can, but you have to write "this was from a boat I looked at but obviously wouldn't buy!"
Now we know the secret!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

joe.baar wrote:I'm still not sure why this partition was ever put there. It's just something else to clean and it obstructs access to the real stuff. Why would I not want to see the transmission from the battery compartment? I just don't get it.
Matt (mhanna) often (well, when he knows I will be around) travels with numerous cases of Corona's in that compartment. Wouldn't want to lose one to a spinning tranny coupler!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n/a

Post by TimQ »

I realize this is an old post but am interested in reducing the noise level in our 28TE. It's a 1994, Cummins power.

Like JCollins there is no bulkhead at all. I would expect this to be worth adding for sound proofing. Does anyone agree?
TQ
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joe.baar »

Tim,
Maybe worthwhile for a loud Cummins but in my experience this partition made no, zero, nada, difference in the sound from my Yanmar, and it obstructed access within both engine and battery compartments. It was certainly not watertight. In case of flooding, it would have made seeing the source and dealing with it just that much more difficult.
(former owners)
Ballard
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

TimQ wrote:I realize this is an old post but am interested in reducing the noise level in our 28TE. It's a 1994, Cummins power.

Like JCollins there is no bulkhead at all. I would expect this to be worth adding for sound proofing. Does anyone agree?
Might help .. A lot of the earlier models did not have sound insulation. That's where the sound proofing comes in. The partition might offer something.

I had a 2002 with a Cummins 6BTA and no partition. My boat was pretty quiet, but lots of 2 plus inch insulation under all decks,hatches, the engine side of the bulkhead that you're referring to the cabin side of the bulkhead separating the wheel house bilge and insulation under all sections of the helm and companion seating boxes. The sound proof insulation is what quieted my boat down .. even when the bulkhead door was closed.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

took mine out completely. it just made doing anything below deck more difficult. mine was plywood with door. no noise difference with yanmar 6lp

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”