• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

LED Nav Lights

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

LED Nav Lights

Post by RobS »

Froggy wrote:I've upgraded to an Atwood LED steaming/mooring light as it has dramatically lower power consumption than the Perko.
I have been on an LED role this spring myself. I changed all 7 of the plastic incandescent cabin fixtures to new SS LED fixtures. I also installed new LED red/green navlights, and LED upgraded the anchor/mast light and the stern light.
Froggy wrote:I converted most of the interior lights over the last couple years. I figure that it will take, conservatively, something like 50 years for the energy payback but saves the batteries while at anchor. What did you use for the stern light (integrated into the transom on mine) and the two running lights?
For the stern light I changed out the bulb and got a new lens from Attwood. My original one was really yellowed. The stern bulb I ordered from LEDLight.com. It is Product ID 84634, called 9 LED Light Bulb, Super White Base BA15D. Only $5.87.
Stern LED light.jpg
2012-04-03_10-02-44_863.jpg
2012-04-03_10-29-38_157.jpg
For the nav lights one of my original lights were cracked, the tabs were broken off the top, so I was not going to invest in an LED bulb for a broken fixture, instead I spent $133.99 per light! From Defender I bought the Hella Marine LED’s, Defender numbers 700835 and 700836 for the starboard and port. I figured what I saved on the transom light helped justify what I over-spent on the nav lights. I never liked the original bulky fixtures anyway but I don’t know if I would have spent $270 if one of them wasn’t broken..
2012-03-29_08-23-18_603.jpg
For the all around I bought a replacement fixture and two LED 31mm festoon bulbs. The fixture head is identical to the original Perko so it can be easily installed onto the existing tubing. I had originally planned on going with the Attwood LED mast light but it was not easily removable from the tubing and the tubing was a different diameter.
2012-03-26_19-12-04_353.jpg
2012-03-26_19-14-11_702.jpg
So altogether, the 2 nav lights, all around and stern ran me $350, not too bad (for boating)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
waterhound

Re: LED Nav Lights

Post by waterhound »

Do you have a source for the festoon bulbs in the all around?

Maybe we should make this a sticky - I'd love to have a single place to go to know the part numbers to replace all the lighting. Where did you get the replacement lens for the stern light?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

waterhound wrote:Do you have a source for the festoon bulbs in the all around?
Defender Item # 701223
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1645280.
Also available at West Marine.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

waterhound wrote:Maybe we should make this a sticky - I'd love to have a single place to go to know the part numbers to replace all the lighting. Where did you get the replacement lens for the stern light?
No need to make it a sticky, search LED and you will easily get back here.

The rectangle stern light lens required a call to Attwood directly.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Rob, thanks for putting this up. So...I get the radar mount, light piping and Atwood LED light from Edson and....the short tube on the Atwood LED light is the same diameter as the light piping. Pretty hard to fit 'em together! Too late in the day to get a hold of Edson but I'm not thinking of just getting a 3/4 " ID PVC coupling and hooking them together. Not the most exotic solution but probably will work and not be too visible as the tube is white. Will take some pics when I get it done.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Can you get the Attwood fixture off of its tubing and set it directly on the Edson tubing?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

The alu tube looks pressed in but may be glued. However, the issue is the plastic tube inside the light. I don't think it will fit inside the wall of the light holder as that tube is pretty thick.

Lightend.jpg
lightside.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

I need some guidance on where to purchase replacement lenses for my all around light.

I replaced the bulbs with LEDs which work great. The problem is that the lens have yellowed like Rob's stern light. I don't know who manufactured my light. I'll get back up there with a magnifying glass and try to figure that out, unless someone recognizes the model.

It could be a Perko. However, it seems like Albin leaned toward Attwood. For the record it has a front and back lens. The lenses are removed by unscrewing a single phillips screw on the plated top piece.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
IMG_2638a.jpg
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

I'm pretty sure it's a Perko 1181. Here is a link to replacement lens.

http://www.bfmarineinc.com/cgi-local/pr ... how_detail

Carl
John_Madison CT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ct

Post by John_Madison CT »

I plan on replacing my Nav nights with LED bulbs this year. The regular ones just aren't bright enough for me.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey all,

The stern light on Sonny IV burned out last weekend (actually, I have no idea when it burned out, but it's out!) and I decided I wanted to replace either the whole unit with an LED equivalent or replace the lamp.

I went to the local West Marine and while they didn't have the lamp (bulb) in stock they did have a replacement fixture the "looked" like it was the same. Got down to the boat with it and no joy. The WM unit looks to be an exact replacement for the Atwood 66382-7. I however have a Perko labeled A-16 (actual part number 0939DP112V)

It took a bunch of searching but I finally found an LED replacement made by SeaSense. Cost me about $37 including shipping. Not much more than the LED lamp would have cost.

I took a couple of pictures that will hopefully help out anyone else trying to do the same.

Here's both units with a ruler for scale.
image.jpg
And the the back of the packages with all the relevant part numbers.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I'll post an update one I have the new unit installed.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Good job Doug. I went on that quest a few weeks ago for the same Perko transom light replacement on my 31 that I wanted to convert to LED and replace the yellowed lens. I ended up going the low road and ordered a new lens for 10 bucks (Part# 0284DP0CLR). I then ordered an LED replacement cool white bulb from MarineBeam.com for the Perko# 0070DP0CLR at $15.00 / http://store.marinebeam.com/42pafeled.html I had a good experience with MarineBeam when I had replaced most of the lights on the 28 and just followed suit.

Nice of you to source out a direct replacement for the Perko .. it's been noted!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”