• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bimini on a 28 - The photo series

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Bimini on a 28 - The photo series

Post by DougSea »

Hey all,

I had a request recently from an AOGer for some more pictures of our bimini on our 28. Since I like to share I'm posting a full set of pictures here. I would make a couple of changes:

1. I'd swap out the rear straps for adjustable poles so that the top could be stowed closed and up out of the way. Right now it lays down on the transom, and by design allows access to the storage and all, but it makes it hard to use the swim platform to board. Kat has a bad knee and it gets in her way.

2. Some kind of way to move the side curtains easily out of the way for cockpit access from the helm. They either flop around or, as you'll see, I tie them back with some sail ties I got at West.

3. Change at least one of the clear plastic "windows" in the rear drop curtain to a combo plastic/screen setup for bug free living with fresh air.

All in all I really like the top. It came on the boat when we bought her and is very well made.
PA100088.jpg
PA100089.jpg
PA100090.jpg
PA100091.jpg
PA100092.jpg
PA100093.jpg
PA100094.jpg
PA100095.jpg
PA100096.jpg
PA100097.jpg
PA100098.jpg
PA100099.jpg
PA100100.jpg
PA100101.jpg
PA100102.jpg
PA100103.jpg
PA100105.jpg
PA100106.jpg
PA100107.jpg
PA100108.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bimini on a 28 - The photo series

Post by lpbp »

Great pic,s Doug and thank,s a million for the time and effort . This helps us alot . More questions will follow as I start my design with the canvas maker this winter. [ I don,t think you will mind ] Also enjoyed the chart table light pic , I also need to replace it and like the red light feature.
Went for a short 2 hr cruise yesterday ,lake had only a 6 inch chop on it . Pull out is getting closer and closer .
All The best LPBP
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

LPBP,

You're very welcome. And no, I don't mind questions at all! I tried to photograph just about everything...but I'm guessing you can tell that! :)

Hoping to get a few more short trips in myself. Insurance say's I have to be off the boat come November 1.
Doug
Sonny IV
Mpayne
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stamford CT

Post by Mpayne »

Doug,

I really hope you will be in Essex next week as I am very anxious to talk about the design of the Bimini you had on the sonny 28.

Meyrick Payne

Andiamo 28 2007 TE enginebox
Stamford, CT
MeyrickP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MeyrickP »

Hello, we have a28 TE with the beast in Stamford CT. I would like to design and buy a full length cockpit Bimini cover like you had but I would like to be able to affix eisenglass sides all round so we gain extra dry sleeping space and protection from rain. Is this viable and where do you think we could have it made?
Meyrick Payne
Albin 32+2
"Ancora"
Stamford, CT
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Myrick:
Check out "Steel Hers'" 8 September 2012 post re new Bimini/enclosure, for starters.
carolmarie, 2001 28TE, 6LP-STE.
Nowhere Special
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Catawba Island, Lake Erie

Post by Nowhere Special »

camper.jpg
This is my bimini with screens. There are also isinglass panels the zipper on.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Dave
1999 28TE Aba Daba
Mpayne
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Bimini on a 28

Post by Mpayne »

Hello all 28 TEers,

I want to install a removable full bimini over the cockpit together with the capability of eisenglass and screens on the sides.

Seafarer Canvas in Norwalk, CT has quoted $5500 for the full job with stainless, but collapsable struts.

Does anyone have an idea if this is reasonable and/or where I could get it done for less or perhaps better.

Thanks

Meyrick

Andiamo
2007 Albin 28TE enginebox with Peninsula
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Depending on how it matches up, and if you're using Stamoid and the ultra UV thread, that sounds about right. I did mine for a little over $5k. See my post for details & pictures to compare against. Good Luck!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5750
ALBIN
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SC

Post by ALBIN »

Thought I would post some of my Bimini and noseem mesh with the option to add eisenglass in the future.

I already had the framing so the replacement Bimini cost 800 and noseeum mesh 1800

All work was done by Jeri at Custom Canvas and the results speak for themselves!

Jeri Perillo
Custom Canvas of Charleston
7187 Bryhawke Circle # 100
North Charleston ,S.C. 29418
843-767-1573

Thanks

Tim
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Looks nice Tim. What's on the lower edge of the mesh to keep it tight to the boat and stop the little crawly buggers?
Doug
Sonny IV
ALBIN
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SC

Post by ALBIN »

There are three mesh panels:

The upper edges of the three panels (port, starboard, stern)are zippers to connect to the Bimini, the lower edges of all three panels are bordered with 4 inch sumbrella with snaps to connect to the boat

The bow end of the port/starboard panels are bordered with sumbrella /snaps to connect with the boat and the stern end of the port/starboard panels are zippers to connect directly to the stern mesh panel

When installed panels are under a fair amount of tension and not sagging.

Tim

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”