• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Installing recessed rod holders

chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Installing recessed rod holders

Post by chiefrcd »

Anyone have any idea what might be under these two areas? I'm thinking about installing recessed rod holders which would require that I drill a 11/2" hole in the center of these two areas.

Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Chief,

The only positive way to tell is to remove the liner under the double doors. I would suspect nothing there, but who knows? Thanks for the idea, I may have to copy it.

BTW, I though you had my twin? Your boat looks real white.

Cheers!
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chiefrcd »

I thought your was too, but I took a second look...mine is bright white...I take it yours is more of a Ivory color? Thanks for the reply...I'm down working in Deltaville for a few days and will take another look at that location to see what might be under there.....its hitting close to 100 for the next few days so I won't be doing any drilling soon.. :shock:
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Ivory, egg-shell, cream, off-white. I don't know what to call it.
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rod Holder Installation

Post by Capt Ron »

Sorry for the late response to this question but I just found this site! I happened to install the same rod holders this past spring. In answer to your question, the port side is wide open. Drill away! The starboard side, if you place the holder centered in the space, will interfere with the fish well. I simply cut a notch in the well wall. I hope you didn't buy the rod holders yet as I found the deal of the century! The original rod holders were supplied by a company called Prime Industries, located in Virginia. I ordered the exact holders which came with the boat for the price of $15.00 each plus shipping. (not a misprint, $15!)
Owner of 28' TE
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chiefrcd »

Ron,
Thanks for advice and no, I have not done anything. Do you have any information on Prime Industries? I'll order them this week?
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Prime Industries

Post by Capt Ron »

I don't have the info with me. I'll find it and send it to you on monday.
Owner of 28' TE
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Thought I'd just do a quick Google search to see if I could find these guys...I'm pretty good at putting searches together but it was like they were hiding!

Ended up linked to a Whaler forum (which I joined - I have an old restored 13) and found the Prime Industries guys. Try this:

http://www.prime-industries.com/marine/holders.html

I didn't see any pricing info so you'll have to wait for Capt Ron to get back to you on where he found that price (15 bucks! And they're for boats!!)

Thanks Capt Ron for the great find, I'm going to consider doing the same install.

Doug
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

That's a great tip Capt Ron. Thanks and welcome to the board. By the way..have I heard that name before? <smile>
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rod Holders

Post by Capt Ron »

I see Dougsea found the email address. The phone number is, in Virginia, (757) 631-0777, and out of state, 800-446-1144. They're located in Va Beach. Their e-mail address is primeindustries@aol.com.
I received the TE diagrams from Chief. Thanks very much!
Owner of 28' TE
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chiefrcd »

Made it happen...the rod holders are now a tad over 9.00 dollars...yep....9 and some change....plus shipping. The port installation was a piece of cake....the starboard required that I "notch" out the inside of the live fish well/storage compartment. I used a two inch hole saw to drill the holes and a 3/4 to cut a bunch of holes to make the notch. Pretty easy job and the finished product looks great. Put them to use today in fact.....
Last edited by chiefrcd on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

rod holders

Post by AlMar »

I can never have to many rod holders 8) I've seen a variety that go from pretty nice (Lee$$) to almost bendable by hand. What was the quality of these? Would you trust a rod on a bluefin strike? I've looked up where the place is, and it's only a couple of miles away. Thought I'd take a drive and see if they sold over the counter. tks,
AlMar
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chiefrcd »

Almar,
These were stainless steel with white inserts and I think stainless finishing caps. They are the suppliers to Albin and they match the factory installed ones...they seems very solid and of course since they are recessed they would hold most any fish.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
digitrade

Post by digitrade »

There is simply a void there between the tanks. It is a little narrow and tricky to hit it dead center. I acually got into the center tank a little bit. But it is very easy to fiberglass. BTW. If you do get your head under there you will notice that water from either of your tanks can get through poorly finished edges at the top inside of the tanks. while I had fibergalss in my hands I repaired those areas also. I have installed 16 rod holders on my boat and this is the olny one without a backing plate and through bolts becasue it is so difficult to get at the underside.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I ordered a matching rod holder from Prime today. $17 :? plus shipping for Part number 87509-1. I guess I should keep in mind that I have $17 rod holders when I'm setting the lever drag on the Internationals :shock: Also ordered 4 white replacement inserts at $3 each.

Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”