• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1974 Chris Craft Commander Tournament & Rob S

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

1974 Chris Craft Commander Tournament & Rob S

Post by Marcy K »

For Rob S:

We just returned from 4 days out - Cuttyhunk, BI, and Hadley Harbor. I checked AOG last night for updates on various topics and read Rob's comments on several topics - ending with a new signature and NEW boat. I re-read everything and didn't see any announcement , so being curious (nosy) I googled a 1974 Chris Craft Tournament Commander and came up with a U tube clip about non other than "Monte Cristo" in NY. Rob - you've left us kind of - but your new vessel looks beautiful. Congratulations! Are you back cruising on the water again yet? Tell us about your new "Toy".

Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Falmouth/Redbrook Harbor MA
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: 1974 Chris Craft Commander Tournament & Rob S

Post by RobS »

Good to hear from ya. Monte Cristo is her name and I closed on her two Tuesdays ago, ran her home on that Thursday. She's named after the literary classic/ film. We're out on our second long weekend trip now. Will post some more info and pics this week, she's quite the gem! That record rainfall on 8/13/14 here on LI resulted in quite the volume of claim assignments for my business, GOOD revenue, BAD timing. I stood on the dock for 2 months with my thumb out and the night I close on a boat we get a record weather event, so have been real busy juggling work and new boat stuff. Will be on a mooring Labor Day weekend at Coecles and cruising those waters. Thanks for reaching out, and we will see you at next year's rendezvous as long as Doug is ok with it. :)
Last edited by RobS on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Rob, we'll be in the area also , maybe we'll stop by
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

No maybe's. Will touch base this week.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Very nice Rob. Congratulations. I'm guessing you already joined the Commander Club?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Thanks John.

Matt & Janet on Doghouse came by for the day today. The shot of the 3 boats is neat because the 21 Pursuit hanging off my stern was the boat I had before my 28TE, sold it to my father-in-law in 2007 and he's still enjoying it today. So these 3 boats make up my most recent boating tenure..and of course the dinghy I was in when taking these pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Nice shots Rob! Love the view of the "history" of your boating expansion. 8)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote:Nice shots Rob! Love the view of the "history" of your boating expansion. 8)
I didn't even catch it until Grace brought it to my attention :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

jcollins wrote:Very nice Rob. Congratulations. I'm guessing you already joined the Commander Club?
I joined when I first found her before inking the deal in order to learn as much as I could. Haven't posted nor have I even logged in since taking ownership.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Marcy K wrote: Tell us about your new "Toy"...
Well for pretty much the full month of July I was in contract on a 35 Tiara Open. Unfortunately (actually "fortunately" now that I can look back on it all) way too many issues were found and the dollars and cents just didn't make sense once I had it all figured out. While I was in the midst of the Tiara deal I came across this Chris Craft that happened to be on a friend's dock just 20 minutes from my house. My friend said the owner is meticulous and that the boat had "diesels" and was for sale. Well I was already in contract and I never thought "diesels" meant a pair of mint Cummins 330B's. I decided to chat with the guy anyway and then realized what a gem this boat really was and what a knowledgeable owner she had. He was out on a mooring at Block Island when I spoke to him and he had just taken a deposit from a guy that dinghied over to him. We agreed to keep in touch in case either or both of our deals fell through. Well it must have been meant to be because just a couple hours after the Tiara deal was canceled Mr. Chris Craft called me to let me know that the guy who gave him the deposit canceled that deal as he was coming from a 27' Rinker and realized he was getting in way over his head. I think the seller was glad because he knew I had the knowledge and interest to appreciate all that he had done to her and I would be able to keep her up to snuff for time to come.

She was repowered with new 6B-330's in 2003 including new gears, shafts, struts and 4- blade props. New Kohler 5kw genset a few seasons later. She now has 1,200 hours on the engines and 500 on the genny. She is propped perfectly and the engines have many important upgrades and modifications as per Tony Athens at Seaboard Marine (boatdiesel.com). When the seller told me over the phone that the engines look like the day he put them in 11 years ago I never expected that statement to be 100% true but it is. I have a binder with all maintenance logged from day one.

She can cruise easily in the low 20knot range and hits 27knots WOT. About 1.2nm/gal at 20knots.

The seller is a professional cabinetmaker and since his ownership from 1997 he has completed renovated and custom built the entire interior.

I pulled my own oil samples the week prior to the survey and they came back spot on.
I closed on her the afternoon of the survey. You know you're confident in a boat when you show up on the survey day with the full contract price monies in your bag.

We ran her home on a Thursday, loaded her up that night and left the following morning for a 4 day trip. Friday morning I put her in a transient slip with a stiff broadside wind. Got her in without issue and the dockmaster was impressed so I said "thanks, just got the boat yesterday." Naturally he laughed as if I was joking. And a few people stopped by the boat to say how immaculate it was and what a great job I did keeping her in such fine shape so I would simply reply "yeah, it's been a tough 24 hours!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Rob we don't have to start calling you "the Count" do we?
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote:Rob we don't have to start calling you "the Count" do we?
I'll take it. And I'll be sure to remember you when I find that hidden treasure.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jleonard wrote:Rob we don't have to start calling you "the Count" do we?
Have to ask Erica and the girls about that one!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Best of luck to you and the family on Monte Cristo. May you all have beautiful adventures
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Thanks and good to hear from ya Ed. My daughter texted me the other day from the Cross Island Pkwy, "I see Mahalo"
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “General Discussion”