• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anyone ever launch sky lanterns?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Anyone ever launch sky lanterns?

Post by jleonard »

We saw some going at Block this weekend. Looks pretty cool, something the grand kids would really enjoy.
Anyone ever do this?
I just ordered some and we are going to give it a try.
Maybe at Coecles???
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Anyone ever launch sky lanterns?

Post by DougSea »

24 hours ago I'd have had no idea what you were talking about...but as we sat in Oyster Bay last night waiting for the Dolan family fireworks I saw two fly overhead. When I saw the first one I thought it was a parachute flare. The second one came by much closer and you could make out the "balloon" part of it clearly. Pretty cool but given the open flame I was glad I wasn't in the direct flight path! They flew on for quite a ways before burning out and vanishing in the night sky.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Pretty cool but given the open flame I was glad I wasn't in the direct flight path! They flew on for quite a ways before burning out and vanishing in the night sky.
I think if the flame is going it rises, then only decends once the flame is out. The ones I bought are supposedly bio-degradable so I guess as long as they don't land on someone's boat or house it's no harm no foul.

Anyway, mine are supposed to be delivered on friday so I will be able to launch a few while on vaca at Block next week and see how they do....maybe I'll launch one in Coecles as a tribute to Albins.
Anyone have an Albin decal I could attach ? :D
I would hate to just put a big A on it..folks might get the wrong message :lol:
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I saw them last year at a Bluegrass Festival. Pretty neat but I don't think they would be a good idea on the water.Too much risk of mistaking it for a flare & calling the CG.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Veebyes2 wrote:...Too much risk of mistaking it for a flare & calling the CG.
Which is exactly what I thought I was looking at when I saw the first one. Since it was the 4th of July I assumed some idiot had lit off a parachute flare, it wasn't until the second one went by a lot closer that I realized what it was.

Do you make a Pan Pan call and then launch it? I suppose you could.
Doug
Sonny IV
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

These do NOT look anything like a flare so I would discount that risk personally.
Unfortunately while we were at Block this past week it was always too windy at night to test one out.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

It certainly was not too windy at Coecles this weekend!

The Pyro's
DSCN5029.JPG
Pyro's of all ages
DSCN5041.JPG
The Audience
DSCN5037.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

I don't want to sound like my mother, but aren't these a fire hazard. Maybe not a huge risk, but floating a fire in the air to drift where ever...... just doesn't seem very safe.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

ScubaPete wrote:I don't want to sound like my mother, but aren't these a fire hazard. Maybe not a huge risk, but floating a fire in the air to drift where ever...... just doesn't seem very safe.
If the wind conditions are right (5 mph max) and the distance is available, they ascend while they are on fire. When the fire goes out they eventually fall, but at that point the fire is out. The materials are biodegradable.
Once again the use of reasonable care is expected.
We had the perfect condtitions saturday night for this activity. And the kids loved it (including the big kids :D )
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

ScubaPete wrote:I don't want to sound like my mother, but aren't these a fire hazard. Maybe not a huge risk, but floating a fire in the air to drift where ever...... just doesn't seem very safe.
If you saw one go up you'd feel better, they rise very quickly, and keep on rising, as long as the small fuel cell is burning. From our vantage point they burn out fairly abruptly at great altitude. By the time they hit the ground they should be completely cool. The general complaint I read about them is the small wire that holds the bottom open and holds the fuel cell but Jay picked up ones that are totally bio-degradable.
Doug
Sonny IV
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

Well I'm all in now. And when my wife complains/worries/frets, I will just quote you two experts!! Where do you find these things?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Just do a google search for "Sky Lanterns" and you'll have lots of choices. You also find instructions on how to use them properly. Not claiming to be an expert, just someone who tried them and had some fun.

I got mine thru Amazon. If you search for "Sky Lanterns" in Amazon you'll find them. I bought a 12 pack of assorted colors. Just over $3 each.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

I saw quite a few launched at a wedding in Stamford (Shippan) but unfortunately not right at the water's edge. They rose beautifully landing on a few roofs of houses nearby. The fire department arrived very quickly to hand out a summons. It was all very exciting. :oops:
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Jack wrote:I saw quite a few launched at a wedding in Stamford (Shippan) but unfortunately not right at the water's edge. They rose beautifully landing on a few roofs of houses nearby. The fire department arrived very quickly to hand out a summons. It was all very exciting. :oops:
Well, that's no fun!

Was it very windy? The ones launched at Coecles went pretty much straight up several hundred feet, then the wind carried them away, rising all the while...
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “General Discussion”