• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

The thing about coolers

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

The thing about coolers

Post by jcollins »

Love 'em. Have always had one on the boat for food and drinks. How many have I purchased over 30 years of boating? How much ice? Who knows. But, as I started buying better coolers I always had the same gripe. Ice starts melting, food starts floating and getting soggy. And lugging the ice to the cooler.
Last year I puchased the Solaire grill and love it. Best add-on to Afterglow short of electronics. This year I bought the Edgestar 43 qt. portable refrigerator/freezer. Cools down nicely for food and beverages or can be used as a freezer for all the fish I never catch. Runs on 12 volt or AC. It weighs in at 45 pounds which isn't much more than a large cooler with ice. I'm keeping it at home as a beverage cooler and will take on the boat for longer / weekend cruises.
All my electronics are up to date and nothing is breaking. I gotta spend money on something.
http://www.compactappliance.com/FP430-C ... ge_Freezer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: The thing about coolers

Post by DougSea »

Looks interesting. About the only I'm currently missing is what this provides - bulk cold storage beyond my built in refrigerator.

Does it look like it's built to stand up to a marine (salt) environment? If I were to get something like this it would be mounted at the forward ed of my cockpit. Not any direct water contact but we all know that salt water has a way of getting to everything!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

DougSea wrote:Looks interesting. About the only I'm currently missing is what this provides - bulk cold storage beyond my built in refrigerator.

Does it look like it's built to stand up to a marine (salt) environment? If I were to get something like this it would be mounted at the forward ed of my cockpit. Not any direct water contact but we all know that salt water has a way of getting to everything!
When I researched these units I found they were mainly used by campers, travelers, truckers, and a few boaters. This is not commercial grade. The commercial units were around 800.00.
I'll let you know in a few years. :wink:
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

The couple traveling with us has 2 of these coolers. They do work very well. No, I would not keep one out in the cockpit of any boat. Its lifespan would be very short.

For years, on 2 night weekends, we got along just fine with carry on coolers. We seldom used the built in fridges on the 32 unless we were out for a 4 night weekend. We did not use cube ice either. It melted way too quickly. We did home made block ice in 1/2 gallon containers or plastic containers like Wet Ones come in.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Converted the "live Well" to act as a cooler by lining all sides with 1 inch pink insulating board, Block Ice seems to help stay cool with some extra time & keeps everyone out of the cabin area
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
dvlyon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rock Hall, MD

Post by dvlyon »

I purchased a Yeti cooler last summer. It is bullet proof and keeps ice for days.

http://www.yeticoolers.com/categories/Tundra-Series/
"Lyon's Pride"
2001 31 TE with Twin Yanmar 315's
Rock Hall, MD
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I've had a 12v Coleman cooler for years. I really like it for extra fridge space on the boat and for camping, but you do have to account for the additional battery draw.
bigdishdoctor
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Sebastian FL

Post by bigdishdoctor »

I replaced my two refridge units with a 12V compressor cooler from Dometic. This line of coolers use the reliable and efficient Danfoss compressor. Mine is a 50 quart unit and can be removed if needed else where. The unit can run on either 12VDC or 115AC.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Steve White
ALBIN 32+2
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

There are some great ideas here. John you may want to bolt that one down. Nice and looks like an easy carry away. Hopefully, you have a 100% safe dock. One of our other members out of Seattle, Wa. awhile back was telling me he had purchased a similar unit for freeezing his huge catch out at Neal Bay, Wa.
Great way to clean & then vacaum pack the fish there and haul back in the cooler that 2 people should be albe to handle. Don't recall the price now but West Marine handles the marine version. Still left outside the life would be shorten. Good job and those following have done great work with theirs. Steve While nice looking set up. This platform is so helpful.
whwells "Howard"
35te Sportfisher
"Nibbles"
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Zinbaad, what kind of adhesive did you use to fasten the rigid insulation?

Steve, that's a beautiful retrofit! A little googling suggests that the power draw on those Dometic 50 qt. units runs a little under 4 amps - is that correct?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Hey bigdishdoctor that looks like a good plan for whenever I finish the restoration job on my 32 & want to get back into the boating. I always regarded those two 12V fridges a waste of space. One of our former members (went to a much larger boat) had a top loading freezer in his 97 32+2.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “General Discussion”