• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Carolinas Rendezvous?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Carolinas Rendezvous?

Post by kathylsails »

Has there ever been an AOG rendezvous for those of us in the Carolinas? It seems the Chesapeake, New England, and Florida areas have them. Would folks in the Carolinas be interested in having one? (I have no idea what I might be getting myself into by posting this!! :) )
Last edited by kathylsails on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Carolinas Rendesvous?

Post by jcollins »

I would love to add yet another part of the country as a rendezvous location for our members. If your up for it you could coordinate the 2011 AOG NC Rendezvous. I work with you to get you the banner and AOG swag.
Short of that, you could also do what the Chesapeake group did in 2007. We had a "Pre" Rendezvous just see how it would turn out. Two that year if I recall.
Lastly you can just post a note in Albin Cruising-> Meet and Greet forum for an informal get-together. A couple of years ago we tried a rendezvous in the pacific northwest but we didn't have enough members at the time. Maybe now?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

kathylsails wrote:Has there ever been an AOG rendesvous for those of us in the Carolinas? It seems the Chesapeake, New England, and Florida areas have them. Would folks in the Carolinas be interested in having one? (I have no idea what I might be getting myself into by posting this!! :) )

A number of years ago I posted a "Who'd come" topic in the general discussion area - from that came the first rendezvous on Block Island. So if you want to try and have a get together try posting a few locations and get a vote. As John suggested you could find a friendly marina or popular anchoring spot and have a "pre rendezvous", i.e. a smaller gathering. AOG events are fairly low key. Get some people to show up, have a few drinks, do a pot-luck dinner one night, talk Albins and boating and just generally hang out. Build from there.

So - congratulations as the new "Carolinas Rendezvous Coordinator"! :-)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Drew
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dataw Island, SC

Post by Drew »

Would definately be interested. Was going to see if the Florida group would be intersted in a N Florida location, but a Carolina location would be great. Maybe Southport NC or Georgetown SC. We are in Beaufort SC and are planning a trip north this fall...early November. Can check out some locations.
Mulligan Too
2004 Albin 28 TE
Dataw Island, SC
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Carolinas Rendezvous?

Post by kathylsails »

Thanks for the great ideas! I like the idea of starting out by posting a "Who'd come" topic with votes for various locations and then having a "Pre-Rendezvous". Drew, thanks for checking out locations like Georgetown and Southport on your way north. Bald Head Island might be a possibility, too. If you'll be in the Beaufort (the NC one!), Oriental, or New Bern area on your trip, let us know and maybe we could buy you a drink! There are some great anchorages and marinas here, but they might be a bit far from SC. How far would the Outer Banks be from SC? Cape Lookout has a great anchorage but no amenities (although Beaufort is quite close). Okracoke is a great spot but we'd have to plan way ahead because it can get crowded during tourist season. Wilmington might be another place that's accessible to NC and SC folks. I'll check around and also monitor this post for more input.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
SeaJAlbin28
Mate
Mate

Post by SeaJAlbin28 »

We would come to an Albin event!!! Schedules permitting, we'll be there---wherever that is!
Chris and Judy,
aboard SeaJ, an Albin 28 TE
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Gunny »

Keep me informed down here in Charleston. Sounds like fun.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Just working on the next RV trip route. Looking like Carolinas coast is on our itinerary the last week or so of October.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gunny »

FYI The 3rd weekend in October hosts the Georgetown Wooden Boat Show. It would be well worth your time if it can be fit into your schedule.The boat building competition is always a joy to watch. Build and then have to use it on the water. Boats, light shopping and general festivities.
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kathylsails »

More thanks for the input! Let us know if you pass through this area!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Our 27 family cruiser "Kippy Girl" is kept in Charleston, I would be attending. Georgetown would be a great spot. Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Drew
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Drew »

We are headed to Charleston for the Labor Day weekend...docking at the City Marina. If anyone is in the neighborhood stop by.
Mulligan Too
2004 Albin 28 TE
Dataw Island, SC
Drew
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Drew »

We are leaving Beaufort SC area somtime the first week of November....3rd or 4th weather permitting...destination Southport NC. Plan to stop in Georgetown. Looks like Harborwalk Marina would be a good choice. Any recommendations?
Mulligan Too
2004 Albin 28 TE
Dataw Island, SC
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gunny »

Just spent this past weekend in Georgetown for the annual wooden boat show. Had a marvelous time and recommend it to all next year. Have spent other times in Georgetown but have always used Hazzard Marine for slipage. It is a few minutes walk from downtown and the boardwalk and restuarants but it gives you the opportunity to see the old homes and trees. Hazzard is well run and has up to date and clean facilities.Captains lounge, laundry, smallships store, fuel, cable tv and wi fi. These folks go out of their way to make sure all goeas well with your visit.
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kathylsails »

Hi, Gunny, glad you had a great time in Georgetown. I haven't forgotten about a get-together for us Carolinians! G'town at Hazzard Marina sounds like a possibility. How far would that be from Oriental, NC? We have thought many a time about cruising down to Charleston, but that would take us several days by boat. We've driven through Georgetown by car many times on the way there and it seems like a nice, quaint town. Drew, what was the Harbor Walk Marina like?
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC

Return to “General Discussion”