• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Re-veneer A25 cabin door

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re-veneer A25 cabin door

Post by kerrye »

Veneer on the bow cabin door was pretty beat up after 43 yrs. It was exacerbated by the fact there was a vertical joint in the veener, but even if it had been a single piece the edges were damaged enough that re-veneering would have been the best option. I originally tried removing the worst pieces, staining and poly'ing but it didn't look good. Removed door and all the hardware, pried up all the loose veneer with a razor blade. Filled in all the voids with Bondo wood filler from Home Depot ($13. Working life about 5 minutes. Dries to sand in about 15 minutes) Sanded and then applied the veneer which I ordered pre-glued. $90 for a 2x8 piece of mahogany veneer from Veneer Factory Outlet. Pictures should speak for themselves. I'd never re-veneered anything before. I have installed some formica. Two stains in the picture are Red Mahogany 232 on left and Natural on the right. Not a huge difference in appearance. Looks like it will be close to the original. I'll post some more pictures once I get the veneer trimmed and hardware installed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Re-veneer A25 cabin door

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Looks good on there! Great job. I've been doing some veneer research cuz I want to redo my table, how did the pre-glued stuff work? Just peel and stick? Heat? Water?
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Peel and stick. No instructions with it. I'll let it sit with the books on it for a while. Seemed tight when I put it down. Like contact cement. Glue cost about $10 in addition to the veneer itself. Gets pricier the larger the piece of veneer. At some point just using contact cement would be much more economical. In my case it was just a few bucks difference.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I used the 3/64" wood backed veneer.

http://www.veneer-factory-outlet.com/us ... k-veneers/
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

trimmed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Kerrye

Get yourself one of these

http://www.rockler.com/j-roller-for-ven ... isting+ads

put the door on the floor, get on it, and really put your weight on the roller. Hopefully there will still be some "stick" on the glue. I'm concerned that the books haven't provided enough pressure to create a real tight bond.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if the veneer starts to bubble over time, you can strip it off and have another go,and making sure that you applied enough pressure to assure a good bond

The door looks great! Did you do laminate on the other side?
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I used a wallpaper roller on it in addition to the books. I don't think it's coming off. I didn't do the other side. It wasn't as bad, just some looseness at the bottom. Doing the other side is a little trickier since if you put the veneer on top of the original like I did here, it will bind at the hinge side on the stop.
Northern Spy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Belhaven N.C.

Post by Northern Spy »

Good Work! How does the red mahogay finish compare to the red chestnut? Quarter sawn Sapele veneer is also available but the price is up there. The mahogany looks really good!
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I didn't try the Red Mahogany finish. There was very little difference between the Red Chestnut and the Natural even though the stain itself is quite different. The natural was closest to the existing color on the Mahogany. Just stained it.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Stained.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Poly'd, hardware attached and ready to re-install. One thing I hadn't anticipated is that since I used the wood backed thicker 3/64" veneer the handle on the door which is held in place with a pin was misaligned. The holes were drilled exactly for the thickness of the original door. I supposed a person could cut out the veneer for the exterior trim plate and resolve the problem that way but I just drilled a second hole in the knob shaft to accommodate the new thickness.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Re-installed. It's doable in a day if you have the materials on hand and a plan.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Looks very nice! Good to know that can be done & turn out so well. Something to do to keep busy while watching the snow fall. :wink:
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

PS, added the link to the Veneer Factory Outlet to my Albin favorites list. Thanks!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”