• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 bilge plug

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

A25 bilge plug

Post by kerrye »

Anyone know the correct size? I have one but it seems worth having a spare.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: A25 bilge plug

Post by kerrye »

Looks like it is M15 x 1.00 Can't find any bronze plugs that size on the net. Hard to find anything that size. Except for this: http://www.amazon.com/TruVativ-Crank-bo ... crank+bolt

Since it's steel, I don't think you'd want to use one of those regularly, especially in salt water, but if it's the right size it might get you by for a while and serve as a model to take to a machinist to make a bronze one up. I ordered a couple so I'll check if they're correct when they arrive.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Found these m15 titanium bolts. Anyone think they will work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-M15-Titani ... SwnDxUqg9W
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

According to this chart, titanium with bronze shouldn't be very galvanically active.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Amazon M15 bolts arrived. Not the same size as my plug. They are larger and with finer threads. Perhaps my plug is not original. I'm attaching some pictures comparing the two. Can anyone tell me if my plug looks original. It was in the glove box of my boat when I bought it. I tried screwing it in by hand and it seemed correct. I didn't tighten it down with a wrench. It looks like a standard brass pipe plug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Actual diameter of the plug at the outside of the threads is 13.47mm or .53" with 18 threads per inch. A 1/4" pipe plug is .54" according to pipe dimension charts with 18 threads per inch. So, perhaps it is a 1/4" pipe plug.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

All that searching and it appears to be just a standard brass 1/4" pipe plug. You can't believe what you read on the internet. :) I guess I should have checked that first since all the other pipe threads appear to be standard NPT.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

kerrye, I'm assuming you're using the term "brass" when you really mean "bronze". Correct? Bronze plugs are identical in appearance, but definitely not in metallurgical properties. As long as you never use the vessel in salt water, brass is not quite so bad but I'd never recommend brass below the waterline. It's really affected by electrolysis compared to bronze. Ben
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I'm not sure which it is, but I bought a couple of spares in the hardware store brass fitting section. I'm mostly a freshwater boater and I trailer the boat so the plug spends most of it's life playing a non-bung role.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Finally found what appears to be a real bronze 1/4" pipe plug. Be aware that some marine sellers call their plugs bronze when they are really brass.

https://stainlessandalloy.com/bronze-sq ... lid-plugs/

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”