• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Refinished Hardware

Albin's "power cruisers"

How do you like your metal?

Chrome, baby
No votes
Stainless polished
No votes
Metal mismatch as long as it's clean
100%
I only go plastic
No votes

Total votes: 2

JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Refinished Hardware

Post by JT48348 »

Anyone have any experience clear coating refinished hardware with a polyurethane or something to hold back the oxidation.

I've done several old boats and always wire wheeled the old hardware down to a workman like finish. Depending on the piece it could be chrome plated brass or even old bronze. I like the brushed look and don't mind the mismatching of metal finishes as long as the underlying metal is of good quality.

Over time brass will dull and bronze with go a nice brown before things get green when water and age take their toll.

I'm considering for the first time shooting the hardware with a clear coat. Maybe a rattle can poly with UV resistance. But I wonder how it will age and if it will just get nasty and probity another wheel cleaning.

Advice appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Refinished Hardware

Post by JT48348 »

Love fittings that look crafted on my boat. As long as it's clean and smooth.

Idk about clear coating cleats as the rope work will just chafe it away and may turn black. But on fittings like the spotlight housing where there's no chafe seems light it might work
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Your cleaned up bronze bits look fine to me - As they age they will get a nice patina . . . . much better than pitted green chrome

When I have to replace the 'chrome plated Zamak' (pot metal) cheap stuff that came on the boat, I've been going with stainless bits from Marine Part Depot

http://secure.campaigner.com/Campaigner ... 13i44&_v=2

I've probably spent $300 to $400 on hinges, cleats and other fittings on this restoration - I think I've replaced every exterior hinge on the boat with stainless ones from him - Best prices I've found anywhere

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Those are some good prices. Good find.
How do you find the quality?
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

I'm 99.9% sure everything he sells is sourced from China, but the quality is excellent - Never been disappointed in anything I've bought from him. Once you're on his mailing list, you'll get e-mails every month or so with a new code for 20% off everything in the store with free shipping to boot

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”