• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Engine removal

Albin's "power cruisers"
BCboater
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

A25 Engine removal

Post by BCboater »

Does anyone have any experience with getting the engine out of an Albin 25? I can't lift it straight up because the cockpit roof is in the way. Any ideas will be appreciated. Cheers, Michael
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Re: A25 Engine removal

Post by denchen »

I had to lift my engine when I fitted a different gear box. The engine is a 4 cylinder diesel not the original Albin. I put a tressel each side of the engine and a strong plank across between each tressel. I put a motor car scissor jack on the plank above the engine then chained the engine over the jack. This way I lifted the engine as far as it would go then blocked the engine, took up the slack on the chain etc until I got it where I wanted it. Lowering was the same in reverse.
BCboater
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by BCboater »

Thanks, Denchen. That is a clever way of lifting the engine for servicing as you described, I'll keep it in mind. However I need to get the engine all the way out of the boat. Does anyone have a method for that?
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

I thought of something similar, but i have a A27 which i think you can almost raise the engine straight up.

In an A25 what if you could get the engine to deck level using a gantry set up, then set the engine on some pipe sections, pyramid style, then roll it aft to where you have vertical clearance and hoist it out of the boat using a larger gantry/lift or forklift/cherry picker

I have raised engines using mast and boom setup with a block and tackle to a vehicle which "pulled" the engine up and out
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

There is a hydraulic hoist on rollers that guys use lift engines out of motor cars. You might be able to hire one or borrow.......
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by don123 »

BCboater wrote:Thanks, Denchen. That is a clever way of lifting the engine for servicing as you described, I'll keep it in mind. However I need to get the engine all the way out of the boat. Does anyone have a method for that?
I used an all terrain forklift with an extension boom on the forks to lift the 4D61 out of my A27FC and replace it with my Yanmar 4JH3-HTE. The forklift was lined up centered on the stern and once the engine cleared the deck with the extended boom almost touching the hardtop, we retracted it aft and over the stern. In and out without touching anything on the boat. The forklift belonged to a friend and it didn't cost me a dime :D . . . . the newly rebuilt 100 HP Yanmar cost me $10K :(

Don

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”