• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Portable Washdown System

crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Portable Washdown System

Post by crowra »

Problem: Our boat has no raw water wash down system. We have been connecting a hose from the rear transom faucet, running all the way forward and using freshwater to rinse off the anchor chain. Besides a waste of fresh water, the pressure just isn't enough to wash the Chesapeake Bay mud off the chain. My first mate (FM) gave me 4 days to design, purchase and build a wash down system before we made a cruise last week.

Solution: I managed to pull it off -- even after working full time and missing parts in the pump system I purchased from West Marine. Attached is a photo. It may not be pretty but it's functional, portable and delivers 6 GPM at 70 psi. And best of all, I have a happy FM! Winter project is install permanently most likely tapping into forward head raw water supply line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Portable Washdown System

Post by RobS »

I know what you mean about the fw washdown not being up to the task. Nice "temp" setup, that will certainly do it. Where did you tap into the raw water? I guess the FM really wanted it if she was willing to sacrifice a nice bamboo cutting board!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

My raw water washdown is Td off the generator strainer. It's a Johnson pump with similar specs. Works great for anchor mud and pre-rinsing plates and pots.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

Rob,

Raw water supply is from a 3/4" hose hanging over the side of the boat about 2' into the water. There is a filter on the end of the hose plus a filter attached to the pump. As for the cutting board... it's all about compromise! :wink:

Rob
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

crowra wrote:Rob, Raw water supply is from a 3/4" hose hanging over the side of the boat about 2' into the water...
That is what I was wondering and figured so, that sure keeps it "portable" :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “36/37/40/43”