• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

40 Stuffing box

psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

40 Stuffing box

Post by psneeld »

Anyone ever rebed or replace their stuffing box (and external cutlass bearing)?

Mine looks to have stainless lag screws holding it in but just checking.

Any issues, tips, tricks????

Thanks,

Scott
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
Captn_Dwt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pleasant Cove, Boothbay, ME

Re: 40 Stuffing box

Post by Captn_Dwt »

My guess is this is a new task for you;
Pardon me if I'm wrong; and, it's been 6 years since I did this so I don't exactly remember what it looks like "open".
Re-Packing the box is easy (but, of course, only when hauled!). All you need is a hooky tool like a dentist's pick to pull out the old packing; and some fine emery cloth to polish the shaft with. Buy Teflon packing rope of the correct size and wind it in until you can't fit any more. [Personally, I like making donuts that are the correct size around the shaft and "2 turns" long. (that means the ends are a bevel-cut) I then load these donuts in until there's either enough room for one more donut, or one more turn. Again, bevel-cut and install.]. (I think... ) the results should stand proud of the opening so when you put the packing nut back on, you're sure you are going to get compression. You can tighten down a bit; but really this is a task that you do "in the slings" while she's going in the water. Tighten down to just a drip or two. Start the engine and finish the adjustment with the shaft turning, XX drips per minute per recommendations. (12-16?)
The Cutlass can be easy or not. Once the setting grubs are removed, it may slide out with the shaft still in place...but maybe not. My experience is that they're a 'snug fit' and need a puller. Anyone done this with this style of vessel?
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by psneeld »

I didn't mean re"PACK" the stuffing box.. that I've done plenty of times on all kinds of vessels.I meant remove it from the hull...no worries though as I was correct and it just had the 4 stainless lag bolts holding it to the hull. I'm guessing it will be same for the cutlass bearing housing on the outside of the hull.

Plus...if you are really good...no drops per minute are fine even with cnventional packing...a weep is all you need...especially on something slow turning like a trawler.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by psneeld »

Answered my question yesterday...went ahead and tried to remove the stuffing box assembly. The stern tube WAS just lag bolted to the hull...glad I dug into the setup. The clamps holding the hose to the tube looked good on top but were rusted through on the bottom, the bolts holding the packing adjuster were wasted from galvanic corrosion and 2 of the stainless lag bolts were wasted away for more than half of the threads and only tight from the caulking on the heads.
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler

Return to “36/37/40/43”